HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

When Can Fibroids Turn Malignant? When Can Fibroids Turn Malignant?

Unread 12-08-2000, 09:19 AM
When Can Fibroids Turn Malignant?

I have been told that when fibroids grow especially fast that there is cause for concern about the possoibility for malignancy. My question is this: exactly how fast is fast? I was diagnosed with 1 6 cm. fibroid 5/99 and as of 9/2000 had at least 5 fibroids with the samllest being 6 cm. My uterus was approximately the size of a 15 week pregnancy. The doctor has recommended a hysterectomy because of the intense pain, irregular periods, and problems with constipation and bladder problems. (It should be noted that I also have universaly ulcerative colitis.)

The doctor said he is concerned because of the rapidity of the growth of these fibroids, as well as the probability that they are compressing my colon and the tube between the kidney and bladder. But I am concerned about if there is a possiblity that these fibroids could be malignant because of their speedy growth. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Sorry this is so long, but this is my first time writing and I have a lot of questions. Right now my hysterectomy is scheduled for 12/20. He doesn't want me to wait any longer.
Unread 12-09-2000, 01:43 PM

A fibroid is a benign tumor of the uterus. I am not sure when the question of cancer would come into play. If I were you, I would go ahead and call the doctor to be on the safe side...best of luck to you.
Unread 12-09-2000, 02:24 PM

It's rare that something diagnosed as a fibroid is actually cancer, but I gather it is possible. I do know that they don't know what's going on a lot of the time until the surgery itself. It's unlikely to be cancer but the sooner you find out the better, and it sounds as though it's time to get it out, whatever it is. Has your doctor himself said anything about cancer or just that he's concerned?
[Edited by trish on 12-09-2000]

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.