HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal Hysterectomy Recovery Time? Vaginal Hysterectomy Recovery Time?

Unread 08-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy Recovery Time?

Hi Everyone!

I am new here...what a wonderful site! I am going in for a TVH (keeping my ovaies) on Aug 31 and just have a couple questions. I understand that the recovery time for the TVH is quite often considerably less than the TAH. What is peoples average recovery time for the vaginal hyster? I am just wondering how much time I am going to need off work. (I DO have kind of a cushy job....only a 4 hour sit-down reception job at a hospital) It is just that they are having a hard time finding people to cover my shifts for me while I am gone, so I would like to get back ASAP. Thanks for any input.....

Unread 08-09-2004, 07:40 PM

My gyn told me I could go back to my desk job in three weeks. However, he also told me I could go back to work after my ablation the next day if I wanted, and three days was more like it. Right now I'm scheduled for three weeks off and maybe the fourth week if all goes well I'll ease back into work a few hours each day.
Unread 08-09-2004, 07:45 PM

Hi kimmac73,

to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, I am glad that you found HS and posted to introduce yourself. Of course, each of us has our surgery for a slightly different reason, and each of us recovers at our own rate, but I also had a vaginal hyst, with repairs for a cystocele and a rectocele (prolapsed bladder and bowel). In my case, I didn't return to work (at a full-time desk job) until I was 5 1/2 weeks post-op, and even then, it was probably a little too soon for me. I would come home from work too tired to do anything except lie down on the couch. Thank goodness my DH likes to cook, or we would have starved!!

I know you feel an obligation to your employer, but please - allow yourself enough time to completely heal before returning to work. A hysterectomy is major surgery, and I'd hate to see you go through it and then need more surgery in the future because you went back to work too soon.

Please be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

S
Unread 08-09-2004, 07:49 PM

!!!

I am glad you found this site! I know you will find all of the answers and support you need!

I had a very good recovery after my TVH. I was feeling pretty good after 2 weeks...like I had never had surgery. I had to keep reminding myself that I was still recovering because as I began feeling better, I wanted to do more. I just rested and did as I was supposed to.

Since your job is not very physical, you should be able to go back as soon as you are up to it but you will probably want to discuss it with your doctor. I wasn't allowed to drive for a couple of weeks.

I also had to ease into sitting for a longer period of time as I would get a little sore. I would just have to get up and walk around a little bit. Sitting on a pillow helped.

Just remember to rest and give yourself time to heal! You will only get one chance to heal and you don't want any complications if you can avoid them.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a good surgery and an uneventful recovery!
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM

Hi kimmac73,

I'm having my TVH next month and requested 5 weeks off. Unfortunately I do not have a desk job and I'm on my feet a good portion of every day, so I thought I'd better be safe than sorry and take 5 weeks instead of 3 or 4. It is easier to ask for it now, than later. ( I work for the State ). Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Let me know how it goes as I'm not too far behind you!
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:48 PM

I am having a great recovery as well. I work a desk job and I was very ready to go back after 2 weeks off. I went back for 1/2 days for three days and just started back today full-time. My doctor told me that was fine, to listen to my body and not overdo anything, which I haven't. I have had a successful recovery so am very fortunate. I do notice if I sit in one position for too long my back aches, so I get up and walk around some. A pillow also helps to behind my back in my office chair. I was feeling wonderful after 4 days and had to remind myself (still do) that I had major surgery. I was able to drive once off pain meds per my doctor.

Unread 08-09-2004, 09:29 PM
2 weeks TVH

I must be a freak of nature because I felt like I could return back to work the day after I was released from the hospital. I didn't have any bleeding and needed no pain medication either in the hospital or to this day. The only thing I have noticed is that I am a tad tired, but I have been doing my normal routine for 10 days now. Your body will let you know what is enough, listen cafefully!
Unread 08-09-2004, 09:37 PM

Thank you soooo much for all your input ladies! It is so nice to have this to come to, really eases a lot of worries. Reading a book or pamphlet from hospital doesn't tell you everything you are wondering......I'm thrilled to have found you all, and will definitely be passing the site on to everyone I know who will be getting the surgery!

Unread 08-09-2004, 09:45 PM

Kimmac, I too had a great recovery! I was on my feet by Sunday helping my neighbor pull garlic from his garden. I was cleaning house on Monday and off my pain meds by Monday. I did take Midol on Tues and Wed. Which suited me just fine. By Friday I was moving furniture in my kids room. I was driving by 4 days after my surgery, but I just wanted to make sure I was off the pain meds for 24 hrs before I did it! My doctor told my husband not to put any restrictions on myself, that my body would let me know when enough was enough. About the first week I did get tired some so I let myself go and lay down for like an hour then I was up and at it again. I am 3 weeks and 4 days post op and haven't felt this wonderful in 2 years! Just listen to your body!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.