HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lupron Shot to Stop Periods Pre-op Lupron Shot to Stop Periods Pre-op

Unread 08-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Lupron Shot to Stop Periods Pre-op

My doctor has recommended that I have at least 2 lupron shots before my surgury. I am anemic due to heavy bleeding and they want to get my iron level up. I was told I need to be on my period in order to give me the shot to insure that I am not pregnant. I thougt why couldn't I just take a pregnancy test? I want to miss two periods not just one. My surgury is scheduled for 9-28 @ 10:00am.

Are there any side effects to this shot? I'd appreciate hearing about your personal experiences.
Unread 08-09-2004, 07:47 PM

I had a three month dose (1 shot) of Lupron to shrink my fibroids prior to my TVH last week. In order to counteract the hot flashes my doctor prescribed Norethindrone Acetate (synthetic progestin) as an add-back therapy while I was on Lupron. I had an occasional minor hot flash here and there, but no other symptoms during the three month treatment.

The very last week of the 3 months, when my Lupron would have been wearing off and my ovaries coming back to life, I did have four days of intense uterine cramping. But then that went away and I had my surgery a few days after that.

I would not be afraid of the Lupron treatments.
Unread 08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
NO LUPRON!!!!!!!!!

Hi Rhonda. I took Lupron injections for 6 months and now refer to it as the drug from hell. If you don't like needles, the syringe is really big, and should go into your hip. My husband has type one diabetes and takes injections several times a day and even he had trouble getting that needle into my hip. But that was the easy part. It actually puts you into menopause...no one should have to do menopause more than once! It causes depression and mood swings...I'm not sure how much of these side effects you will get with only a couple of injections. I read somewhere that studies have shown a connection between Lupron and liver disorders. I took the injections to try and clean up my stage 4 endo, but as soon as it was out of my system, my endo grew back even quicker. When I mentioned that to my doctor he said yes, it does do that. It is meant to give you a little window to stop any other cysts or fibroids from growing. From my personal experience, I'd say to go with another, less drastic method such as the birth control pill, where any possible side effects are more tolerable.

As far as your surgery goes, I wish you the best of luck. I had an appendectomy, organ reparation, and a radical H a week ago today and feel pretty darn good. My energy levels are higher and my pain levels way lower. I can hardly wait until I am fully recovered so I can live a totally pain free life!

Tee Lee
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:45 PM

Hi, Rhonda,

I had a three-month Lupron shot on May 6 to stop my periods to help get my blood level back to normal. On May 10, I started a period - but that was my last one. About 10 days after that, the hot flashes started. They were pretty intense, but tolerable. The only other side effects I had were some moodiness and I was very hungry.

The Lupron did its job, though. By the time I had my surgery on July 27, my blood count was 14 (from 6.7).

I would use the Lupron again, if it was me. I was one of the lucky ones with not much problem with Lupron. The only thing you can do is try it - it is much better than the extreme feeling of exhaustion from the anemia.

Good luck with your preparation and surgery. Hope all goes well.

Sallie
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:23 PM

Lupron was a blessing for me - without it my fibroids would not have shrunk enough for the doctor to do laproscopic surgery and I would have had to have undergone an abdominal surgery.

I had 2 lupron injections. Some doctors choose to give a 3 month dose all in one session but my particular doctor didn't do it that way. Plus Lupron is very expensive. About $500 per shot, so some insurance may not allow it to be given all in one big dose.

I was not allowed to give my own shots - I would pick up the prescription at the pharmacy and then go to doctors office and have them do it. The shots weren't that bad at all.

I had heavy bleeding and the first shot only stopped the bleeding for 2 weeks then I started bleeding heavily again. The second lupron shot slowed down the bleeding.

Also noticed more symptoms with the second injection. Hot flashes/night sweats, my libido left town, noticed some differences in skin and hair.

But most interesting was I felt really good on Lupron! Guess I've always been hormonally driven and having my ovaries shut down turned me into a very emotionally level happy person even while being scared to death of facing the hysterectomy.

One thing the doctor told me and affected my decision on whether or not to keep my ovaries is that at my age of 51 the lupron shots may have permanently shut down my ovaries, so because of that I told them to remove my ovaries.

Lupron for me was a miracle drug and definitely worth the 2 months of minor menopausal symptoms. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Don't know how it would be taking it for 6 months - but if you only need 2 at least give it a try.
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:11 AM

Rhonda,

I had (3) lupron injections over a three month period to shrink my fibroids for surgery.

My Dr. chose to do three shots instead of one since he wanted me to gradually ease into chemical menopause, which lupron causes.

I experienced hot flashes and nights sweats. And was lupron worth it?? Yes...because it got me to my less evasive hyst.

I was not on my period when I was given my first shot. I had a pregancy test before I had the shot.

I chose to keep my ovaries and they "woke" up right before my surgery. I stopped having hot flashes and night sweats and my ovaries have been working okay since.

You will hear pros and cons about lupron. When it comes down to it, you make the final decision.

Good Luck.
Unread 08-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Thank you thank you thank you

Hi sisters,
Thank you so much for you responses. Now I will know what to expect. I received my injection in the mail yesterday so I will call my doctor and make the appointment for the shot. I've already had night sweats and hot flashes which haven't been too bad. Anything would be worth giving up the heavy periods.

Thanks again.!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.