how much do they shave? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much do they shave? how much do they shave?

Unread 08-11-2004, 04:38 PM
how much do they shave?

O.K. , This might seem trivial but I have to ask...Do they only shave you for an abd. hyst. or also for a vag one? I am having a TVH on the 31st and have read mixed things...I also have had laser hair removal of my bikini line. (only about a 1 inch landing strip remains).. Does any one know just how much they shave? Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 05:21 PM
clean shaven???

The question that I was wondering about and never asked!!! did you ever get an answer.. thanks for asking..
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:57 PM
how much do they shave?

I think each doctor does it differently but I had no shaving done at all.
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 05:58 PM
how much do they shave?

I had a TVH yesterday and was not shaved at all. My Dr told me it wasn't neccessary. I also did not have to have the vaginal packing that you read about with a TVH.

Good luck to you. The waiting is the worst part.

Beth
Unread 08-11-2004, 07:07 PM
how much do they shave?

I had a TVH on July 2nd and they cut the top part really short and shaved the rest all the way back. They did it while I was out like a light so it didn't bother me at all. I was worried about it itching when it grew back but it will be 6 weeks this Friday and it has not bothered me one bit. I guess they did a good job and I would really like to know what they used because whenever I shave boy does it ITCH growing back....I know every DR is different and I wish you all the best.....

Mary
Unread 08-11-2004, 08:05 PM
how much do they shave?

I just had a TVH and my doctor did not shave me at all. I did however have the packing for one day and to tell you the truth it did not hurt comming out I thought that it was going to but it did not.
Unread 08-11-2004, 08:10 PM
shave?

Hi - I had a TAH on 7/21 and they sahved down about an inch and a half. They do it when you are asleep. It does itch growing back and it got a bit infected growing through the incision. My quess is you won't have that with a vaginal.
Unread 08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
how much do they shave?

At my pre op the nurse told me I could shave and showed me about how much to shave for my bikini cut. I wasn't sure if I wanted to. I didn't want razor burn. Someone told me to use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream or soap. Said, they heard it on Opra years ago, that it works great. So I decided to go ahead and shave. And shaved a little more than the nurse told me since I didn't want to have be shaved twice. Just thinking of razor burn with an incision. Ouch! The conditoner worked pretty well, I was surprised.
The morning of surgery, the nurse's aid gave me a gown to put on and asked me if I shaved. I told her I did! She said, put the gown on and let's see. Well, to my embarrassment when she looked she said, "oh, no honey that bush has gotta go!" And then said, "let me go get my weed wacker!" Well, I just wanted to crawl under the bed! My DH just started cracking up!

So to shave or not! Go ahead just let them do it!!! Trust me!!

Unread 08-11-2004, 09:33 PM
how much do they shave?

I had LAVH and they only shaved a strip at the top where the punctures are. The rest was trimmed pretty short, but not shaved. This was all done while I was "out," as was the catheter insertion after surgery. I'm thankful for the little things!
Unread 08-12-2004, 12:57 AM
how much do they shave?

Self shaving before surgery is really not a good idea as studies have shown shaving leads to an increased risk of surgical site infections. Apparently even a perfect shave can cause microscopic nicks we don't see that can harbour nasty bacteria that then are waiting to enter your wound. That's why most hospitals these days, if they shave at all, do it right before surgery when you are out. In fact even if they do trim you off it isn't usually done with a razor it is done with special clippers.

I waxed about a week before and that was fine by them... I asked. Surgeon confirmed on day of surgery that shaving would have got me tossed off the rotation.

As to amount off that depends on the surgery and the hospital so your only real answer is through your pre-op. I took everything off to avoid having someone second guess my work and I was used to having it done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register