HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does losing your cervix really affect your sex life Does losing your cervix really affect your sex life

Unread 08-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Does losing your cervix really affect your sex life

I went to my preop appt. today. I am having my uterus removed in 2 weeks due to huge fibroids. But, as far as we know, everything else is healthy. My doc wants to remove my cervix also because she says since I am prone to fibroids, they can grow right on the cervix even when the uterus is gone. Any comments on your sex life with and without your cervix? The debate about ovaries removal continues. I try to be as holistic as posible, and in the natural care books it indicates that your ovaries secrete small amounts of hormones all the rest of your life. My doc says that it is so small that it is immeasurable. Instant menopause isn't my idea of a good time, but I am almost 53, and still not there.Please, any comments out there? These are tough decisions with no real right or wrong answer.
Unread 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM
cervix and ovaries

I too am asking similar questions after a talk with the doc today. I was also told that she wanted to take out the cervix for same reasons. Ovaries? She said my need for them was not going to be a long-term one and she thought they ought to come out rather than sit there as a cancer liability...I am 49.

I am starting to lean toward taking them out too...the cervix I don't the answer to your question except to say my friend had a TAH 10 yrs ago and said it did not affect her sex life.
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:35 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and the doc took my cervix also. I have had no problems with my sex life at all. To begin with it was a little different feeling but it is getting better all the time and I just got released to have intercourse last thursday.
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM

Im 4 months post op (abdominal, cervix and left ovary removed), and I cant see how it is different having no cervix. At frist, things felt .."different", and i was almost disappointed. But with a bunch of practice *grinning*, things are awesome. And with each time, the O's got more intense. Yes, they are a bit different than before, but no worse. That probably has more to do with the uterus being gone than the cervix.
Nonetheless, I am enjoying a very satisfied sex life.
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM

I had my surgery (LAVH) May 4th with my cervix removed. I must say that my husband and I are enjoying our sex life now more than ever. It is a little different, but different in a good way for us. My husband and I both think it's better now. We've had no problems at all. Orgasms are just as satisfying as before, too. I kept my ovaries as I am only 32, and they seem quite healthy. I'm also high risk for breast cancer and would not be a candidate for HRT. Good Luck!
Unread 08-17-2004, 09:07 PM

Hi Olygal,

I kept my cervix and ovaries.

The cervix is the size of a large button. My Dr. told me that the cervix may help with future pelvic ligament support and may also help prevent vaginal prolapse. Also, he said, in his opinion, it may help with sex also.

To be a candidate to keep my cervix, I had to have a sturdy cervix and normal pap smears for years. Also, cervcial cancer does not run in my family.

I had my cervix cauterized so that prevents the mini-period that is talked about.

Interesting....I had never heard a fibroid could regrow on the cervix area w/o a uterus. I am curious what the blood supply would be.

I kept my ovaries since I wanted to go through natural menopause instead of surgical menopause, if I was a candidate. My Dr. kept them since my ovaries looked good during surgery.

Good luck. The cervix-ovary question is a very personal decision.

P.S. Sex is great with a cervix!!
Unread 08-17-2004, 10:47 PM

I evidently had chronic inflammation of the cervix pre-op and didn't even know it. My sex life is improved because of the absence of that overly sensitive ouchy bit...I'm able to relax and enjoy better.

I think it just depends on where you're at pre-op as to whether you'll miss it or feel like it's good riddance afterwards. Discuss all your options with your doctor, and make the best choices you can with medical guidance.
Unread 08-18-2004, 07:29 AM

Historylady makes all the valid points. I had an SAH, kept ovaries. I am happy with my choice.

IMHO, surgeons who insist on giving their patients only one choice are quite often limited in skills/experience to a few textbook surgeries.

Cervical fibroids are relatively uncommon.

Surgical menopause is often more severe than natural menopause, because the level of hormones are shut off completely, instead of the more gradual shut down.

In any case, it is your choice, and you should be allowed to make it.
Unread 08-18-2004, 05:56 PM

had my cervix taken out. The big 'O' is different, but very, very good.

I try to live by the saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

Keeping that in mind, I made a decision to take my time during my special moments with my dh and explore my new sexuality. I also have committed myself to communicate more openly with my husband as to what I like, etc. He has not minded one bit!

So...with my current attitude (I pray it lasts), I will say that sex is better.

SCSusan
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:16 PM

Hubby and I have always been able to talk about sex, and what we liked or didn't like, with honestly. So after the surgery when I was concerned about the same thing, hubby swore to me that it felt no different for him. As for me, it feels wonderful, much as it did before before the surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway