HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abscess problems; anyone else? Abscess problems; anyone else?

Unread 08-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Abscess problems; anyone else?

I'm about nine weeks post-op and have been ill the entire time. I had to switch doctors to find out that I have an abdominal abscess, and I have a ultra sound scheduled on Thursday to find out how many organs besides the vaginal cuff and my left ovarie it's affecting. It looks like at the very least I have to have the abscess drained but may lose the left ovarie and the remainder of the tube on that side. I have never heard of anything like this before, and from what I understand this abscess formed shortly after my surgery, which was a mess in itself. I was in the hospital for eight days. Anyone that has experienced this, can you tell me about all that you went through and how you discovered the problem, treatment etc. Physically this has been hard but has been harder emotionally. Just wanted to get a better idea of what to expect from this. Thank you in advance to anyone that offers an answer!

Jackie
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:21 PM

Hi ,

I have not had this happen, but I am sorry you are going through this .

I hope everything gets better soon so you can get on with your life. Let us know how you do.

s
Unread 08-22-2004, 03:01 PM

I too, had an abdominal abscess. I had to have surgery to get rid of all the infection ! It was a bad time, but it does get better !
Unread 08-22-2004, 03:59 PM

Jackie

I didn't have an abcess but did have UTI and pelvic infection (about week 8) after surgery-extremely painful. I'm just starting 13th week post op and still on antibiotics. Beginning to feel much better. Hang on in there- things will improve

best wishes lizzie xxx

SAH (31st May 2004) for fibroids, pelvic inflammatory and ovarian dermoid cyst, kept one overy/tube (can't remember which) and cervix, no regrets and almost pain free-yippee
Unread 08-22-2004, 11:12 PM

I am in the hospital now, going into surgery tomorrow morning to have the abcess or clot, drained. I have been here for three days now while they pump massive amounts of antibiotics into me through iv. My main symptom was cramps and the last few days I got really lethargic. Started to run a fever and next thing you knew I was here. Best of luck. Email me if you need to, sounds very similar.
hugs
bobbie
Unread 08-22-2004, 11:55 PM
re: abcessess

hi jackie, i just have to throw in my 2 cents here. My surgery will be a year ago in October and I had a horrible mess to deal with too...my incision even opened and I thought that was a nightmare but then I was told I had to let it close from the inside out which took daily cleaning from a visiting nurse and then I got really really sick...and they couldn't find out why. When my fever shot up they put me on antibiotic iv and that lasted for about 6 weeks. They finally found I had an abcess and then they lost my paper work, insurance stuff you know and by the time they got me in to drain the abcess....i was on the table and the dr. was there about to drain it and he said uh sorry but there isnt anything there to drain...it healed on its own. When i went thru all this i thought it would last FOREVER but believe me it does get better and when you look back its really not that bad. To make it even more complicated they told me after my surgery that there was no cancer. But 2 weeks later they said they were mistaken and that there was cancer and the cancer even moved to another part of my body and they removed that and then I had to go thru chemo and radiation. And that too was a nightmare but I got thru it and i am feeling great now and it all seems so long ago. Kind of like a fuzzy dream. I had a great summer and I feel really good and I am cancer free....so just hang in there. While your going thru it its a nightmare but believe me it does go away and you will have your wonderful life back and all this will seem like a nasty bad dream...best of luck to you and to a speedy recovery.
diane

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.