HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bikram yoga during chemotherapy Bikram yoga during chemotherapy

Unread 08-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Bikram yoga during chemotherapy

I was looking for information about taking Bikram yoga classes while doing chemo. I am heading for the fifth treatment next week and wonder if there is any danger with hot yoga. We sweat a lot. I feel really good since I have been taking the classes, no, amazingly good. I went because I was tired of feeling depressed and fatigued. I sleep better as well. I am in treatment for low stage ovarian cancer. I would ask my doctor but he knows nothing about yoga.

Thanks!
Unread 08-25-2004, 11:20 PM

Hi Electriclaudia,
Interesting question. Is it just the hot yoga that is your concern or yoga in general?

I will be having treatment for the same as you, and like the idea of a yoga type class to possible combat any lingering feelings that you mentioned.
I don't see why it would be harmful... but to easy your mind, why not just take a regurlar yoga class till after you last treatment. (I am assuming you are almost done, right?)

Thanks for the idea... to possible take up a beginners yoga class (for me).

I hope you have uneventful remaining treatments.
Donna
Unread 08-26-2004, 09:14 AM

Donna -

I started yoga about half a year before my diagnosis, but since then have begun a more frequent and more advanced class.

I can't believe how good I feel because of this! Am now a yoga
addict.

Please do give it a try!

Esther
Unread 08-26-2004, 09:42 AM

I have no experience with Yoga, but did exercise thru out treament, except for the one or two days after each chemo when I was too sick to exercise. After each surgery I began walking as soon as possible, I tried to either walk the dogs, or roller blade for an hour a day. I believe exercising helped me physically as well as emotionally during treatment. How does Yoga differ from regular exercise that could make it harmful! I have never been one for a gym or a planned program, but love to hike, climb mountains, ski and just enjoy the energy that comes from being fit. The sweat that comes froma good work out is so much better than that from a hot flash! I think siren song posted a thread on how exercise can help prevent recurrence too.
Unread 08-26-2004, 09:20 PM

Hi, ElectricClaudia!

I did yoga during my chemo, and actually did a class earlier this evening (after skipping it in favor of the gym for the past three months). Of course, I feel great now! It reminds me that I need to do it more often. It's been so hot, though, and of course, the yoga studio -- which is on the second and third floors of a building near me -- is not air conditioned. (I don't think any yoga studio is.)

Though I've never done it, I do know that during Bikram yoga, temperatures can be elevated to 100+ degrees. I personally don't think that I would have been able to make it through a Bikram class while I was going through major chemo, since I was pretty weak at the time and it was hard enough just getting through the basic Anusara poses. I sweated enough during the regular class.

I wish I knew whether there was any positive or negative effect to that much sweat. I guess the question you could ask your doctor was whether sitting in a sauna for an hour is OK during chemo. The end result is quite similar, since it's hot and makes you sweat a ton.

Sorry I don't have better answers. But I hope you keep doing yoga -- no matter what kind you choose to do. And I hope I keep doing it, too!
Unread 08-27-2004, 07:32 AM

Just wanted to point out that there are many kinds of yoga for those looking into it. So depending on your fitness, check out how strenuous it is.

I was thinking of the sauna question too, since Bikram is moving in sauna like heat.

The main question with the postures themselves for people on this board would be healing time after surgery since it takes a lot of abdominal strength and really stretches your innards.

I went poking around and found some information on the Duke medical center site

http://cancer.duke.edu/pated/PFRCNew...cal%20Exercise

Basically, it says that medical thinking is doing a ground shift from thinking that it's better to lay around and do nothing during chemo to thinking that it's better to exercise--to whatever extent the individual can.
Unread 08-29-2004, 01:36 AM

To Trish's point about exercise during chemo: My doctor dad forced me to walk during chemo. There were a few days where I couldn't walk very far, but . . . as exhausted and in pain as I was, I always felt better after walking. You think you're too tired to walk to the end of the driveway, yet you walk two or three miles, and all of a sudden, you have way more energy when you've finished. I really do believe it helped.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.