HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

LSH v. Myomectomy for 8 cm fibroid LSH v. Myomectomy for 8 cm fibroid

Unread 08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
LSH v. Myomectomy for 8 cm fibroid

I am 38 with 2 kids and don't want any more children. I have an 8 cm fibroid in the back wall of my uterus and a smaller, 2-3 cm on the front wall. They are very painful and the pain is reducing my quality of life. I have had 3 ob-gyn's independently recommend a hysterctomy. The last was a reproductive endrocrinologist who performs myomectomies. But even he would not recommend a myomectomy in my case because of the potential for internal scarring & adhesions and future surgeries. Moreover, a myomectomy would require an abdominal incision -- vs. a laparoscopic supracervical hysterctomy, which would only require the three 1/2 inch incisions.

In short, I am deathly afraid a hysterctomy would affect my sexual responsiveness or enjoyment and would like to avoid it. I have been in contact with a Dr. in Philadelphia who performs myomectomies on women who want to keep their uterus (even when they don't want any more children). But, as I mentioned, this appears to be a more difficult surgery for the patient and requires more recovery time. And it has more potnential complications. Am I foolishly attached to my uterus?

I need help in making my decision! Has anyone faced this same decision? Which alternative did you choose and are you glad? Why or why not?

Thank you so much in advance
Cindy
Unread 08-27-2004, 10:32 AM

Hi Cindy,

It sounds like you are going through some normal concerns. There is a lot to think about with a possible hyst.

I was diagnosed with two large fibroids and I was a candidate for a LSH. I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink them for my surgery. Sounds like your Dr. says you are a "go" now with your fibroid size.

I was also offered the alternative of a myomectomy. My Dr. did say there was a high % that my fibroids would grow back since my fibroids had grown quickly. Between two annual exams. I did not want to go back in for another surgery if the myomectomy did not work.

Also, I felt I should do surgery ASAP since I wanted to be a candidate for a LSH and not a more evasive hyst if I waited too long and my fibroids kept growing.

I think as women we ARE attached to our uterus. I was!! It took a lot of soul searching to realize I did not want anymore children at the age of 46 and my fibroids were causing me extreme discomfort. I asked myself what the quality of my life was?? I can ask you the same question.

Also, my LSH was my first surgery ever...so I was scared going in.

I am very happy with my LSH surgery results. No more fibroid pressure, no more b.c. and no more periods. I also have my health and energy back. My bladder is also working great after it had a lot of fibroid pressure.

And in the sex dept., it is wonderful. I felt strongly about keeping my cervix if I was a candidate. I think a cervix helps with sex also. My Dr. talked to me about that.

So...you have some decisions. Don't worry. You will make good choices for yourself

Good Luck.

Mary
Unread 08-27-2004, 06:16 PM

Dear cindy:

Welcome to HysterSisters Have any of your doctors offered the option of UFE for the fibroids?? You can find more info on fibroid treatments here: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26 and also lots of good info here: www.thefibroidplace.com

It seems that most gals opting for myomectomy are considering future pregnancies. Regarding the doc in PA, have you visited him in person, or only spoken by phone or ?? You would need to figure out how travelling to PA would fit into your surgery and post-op care.

Good luck on your research. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 08-30-2004, 09:24 AM

Thank you, ladies. I have researched UFE and really think the possible downside risks outweigh any benefits in terms of shorter recovery time. I have only talked to the doc in Philly on the phone. He "advertises," if you will, on his website <Admn. snip - website guidelines do not allow links to commercial websites.>
I believe I will go with the LSH. I have put up with these "aliens" growing inside me for too long, and I am ready to have a permanent solution.
Unread 09-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Question for Mary... with LSH

Hi Mary.. this is my first post so i hope i'm doing this right!

I wanted to know how long you were in the hospital?
I actually am going to be in a "recovery" hotel of some sort..

But my problem is I live in a place where the bathroom, from my bedroom, is 2 flights of stairs down.

But it is about $2,000 extra to stay a second day ( and I am paying cash out of my pocket for this).

What's your opinion?

ThANKS..

I am 54.. not in menopause... have multibple fibroids and one around 6 cm. Painful heavy periods with clots.. every 21 days.. anemic and tired.. pain from the big fibroid sort of all the time.. dull to sharp pain where it is.. Mostly it's the non-stop bleeding ( from a spotting to just awful heavy.).
Unread 09-02-2004, 09:51 AM

To: Kmoon,

Hi.

I had my LSH at an outpatient facility. Had surgery at 7:30 AM and I went home by 6:00 PM. I had the option to spend the night if my Dr. wanted me to, and I was doing good.

I hear you on expense. I paid out of pocket also.

In my case, when I got home I had a light dinner, took my meds and went to bed. It took a day or so to feel like my bladder was working okay. Just a stop-start feeling which my Dr. said would be normal. Today, my bladder works better then it has in years!!

I live in a 2-story house with levels like you. However, my bathroom is right next to my bedroom on the first floor. I could not have gone up or down the stairs the first night very easily. Even with help. By day two, I was able to walk up and down the stairs pretty good. Just slowly. My DH and mom were helping me out.

Do you have someone who could stay with you for a few days to help you out getting up and down the stairs?? Or possibly could you set up a day-bed closer to the bathroom?? Or maybe rent a hospital bed?? It would just help you physically getting to and from the bathroom. I am in good shape - work-out - and for a few days after surgery, I walked like an "old croney".

Best wishes.

Mary
Unread 09-02-2004, 10:58 AM
thank you SO much, Mary..

WOW... I want to hug you !!
I
have been trying desperately to get a realistic sense of what the recovery right afterwards might be... since i have to PLAN for it ( either by enlisting friends, or financially).

And everyone just said," it's hard to say.. everyone's different."

Which is true, but no one even gave me THEIR experience to gage from. SO... BIG HUG for your detailed response to me today.

Mary, can you answer another question?

What were your symptoms before surgery? What made you decide to have the surgery? And where are you located? ( I am in Santa Monica, Ca)

thank bunches,

Karin
Unread 09-02-2004, 12:20 PM

Dear Cindy, No you are not too attached to your uterus. You can tell from my user name that I am attached to mine also. We all make our best decisions. Having a hysterectomy is a very big decision. We read from some women how their sex life is never the same. I am dealing with being anemic, tired all the time, it's hard to work, still I think that once menopause is over things should be better. I wish for the best for you no matter what you decide. Oh, and for Karen in Santa Monica, it sounds like a bad idea for you to be 2 flights of stairs away from a bathroom right after surgery. And good luck to you too KMoon.
Unread 09-02-2004, 12:53 PM

To: Karin

I decided to have a LSH since I was having terrible pelvic pain due to fibroid pressure. I also had leg cramps, no energy and major urinary incontinence. I felt uncomfortable 24/7.

Hope that answers your question.

Mary
Unread 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM

Oddly enough, even though I proclaimed that I was "attached" to my uterus, I have MADE THE DECISION!! What a relief! I am going to have a hyst, specifically LSH, and leave in the ovaries & cervix. I have my appointment on 9/20 with the Dr. Then I will schedule it. Nothing like a few straight days of PAIN to help me make the decision. Thank you all (especially HistoryLady, who's been through the LSH) for your help in the decision.

I cannot tell you what a weight this is off my shoulders! I have been dealing with this since the Fall of 2002. Time to get this done!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway