HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

swollen urethra? swollen urethra?

Unread 08-29-2004, 10:25 AM
swollen urethra?

Hi sisters. I had my LAVH almost 4 weeks ago. About 1 week after I got a UTI. I looked at the area because I was curious and noticed the urthra was red and swollen. I took a week of anti-biotics and it cleared up. I never bothered to look in the mirror after it cleared up so I don't know if the swelling around the urethra is normal or not. I beleive I have another UTI. I looked in the mirror this morning and it looks the way it did a couple of weeks ago. I tried to find pictures on the web of what a normal urethra looks like and can you believe I could not find one! All the sick stuff they got on there, but nothing helpful! Anyway. Is there anyone here who knows if a swollen urethra is normal? Is this a side effect of a UTI?? I had a cystoscopy along with my LAVH so I think thats why I'm getting these dreadful things!

Jennifer
Unread 08-29-2004, 03:30 PM
swollen urethra?

While I've never been able to look at my urethra to see if it is swollen, I take macrobid daily to prevent UTI's since I have to self - cath. I could tell when I had one because of pain insering the catheter and low back pain. But if you think you have a UTI, you can go to Walgreens and buy a box of 3 UTI test strips and see if you really do or not.

Good luck
Alicia
Unread 08-29-2004, 03:52 PM
swollen urethra?

You may have a yeast infection. Do you have any thick whitish discharge (sorry to be so graphic). AND do you itch and burn?

If you've been on anti-biotics your're prone to yeast infections too.

There are over the counter creams that you insert in your vagina but there is now a pill you can take that is supposed to clear it up....but they are expensive....

Good luck,
and YES I've had a swollen urethra...usually I have a yeast infection.

Renee
Unread 08-29-2004, 04:37 PM
swollen urethra?

I talked to my doctor today and asked about the swelling around the urethra and she said it's not normal. So she asked what other side effects I had and I told her burning and hurting so she called in an anti-biotic and some other prescription that is specifically for the burning and hurting and it worked right away. YEAH!

No I don't have any white discharge, but I do get yeast infections everytime I take an anti-biotic, so I expect I'll see some soon.

And I had no idea you could self test for UTI's. That's good info for the future.

Thanks sisters

Jennifer

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway