HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone with bowel problems with fibroids? Anyone with bowel problems with fibroids?

Unread 08-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Anyone with bowel problems with fibroids?

I've been viewing the boards for a while and don't think I've seen this come up - I have several very large (and growing) fibroids which are displacing/squishing my bladder, and 20 wk+ size uterus, so my worst sypmtoms are bladder-related. I'm considering a TAH - fibroids and uterus now too big for a lap approach.

Does anyone have any bowel-related symptoms, constipation or diarrhea or both? If my uterus & anterior/posterior fibroids can impinge on my bladder, it seems they could push my colon around too... Just wondering if if might be the fibroids - haven't had any dietary chagnes that would account for the colon issues.

Miriam in WA
Unread 08-30-2004, 10:46 AM

Hi Miriam!

I do not have the answer to your question, but I am just as curious. I wonder if my bowel problems will improve when my uterus is removed??? I sure hope so!!!!

I hope yours are improved, too!!!

Marianne
Unread 08-30-2004, 10:48 AM

Yes, I did have problems with my bowels prior to surgery. My Dr. said it may be caused by the fibroids. Since my surgery, things have been more regular, so I assume that the fibroids were the culprit.
Unread 08-30-2004, 01:13 PM

I also have a whole host of problems: constipation (because of the iron pills I take), diarrhea (intensified by my heavy periods), lots of gas, and pain.

I have had hemmorhoids (can't spell that) since my 16-year-old was born, and they flare up occasionally, too. Yuck.

Hoping that fibroids are to blame.
Unread 08-30-2004, 01:57 PM

Hi!
Yes, i had debilitating Irritable Bowel syndrome for 12 years, i guess as my Alien Pod slowly grew and took over all the available real estate in my abdomen. i was sick (as in had to leave work) at least 2-3x a week and took very strong opium-like drug to control it. i could not travel w/o planning very carefully like where is the toilet.

Miracle of Miracles: when i had my TAH, after i recoverd, the diarrhea, pain,and cramping from squished guts disappeared. I occasiionally get a tummy upset now, but it is only about 5% of what it used to be.

This was one of the best outcomes of my surgery. GReatly reduced my bowel problems. hallelujah! i can eat wings!

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 08-30-2004, 03:16 PM

I'm so glad to see someone ask this question and wonder the same thing! My body had been giving me signals for over a year (probably closer to 2 years) that something was wrong and I simply wasn't listening. One especially irritating signal was that I had a problem with constipation for the first 4 months of this year. And let me tell you, I was like clockwork - so much so that it was getting embarrassing to disappear to the restroom at work longer than normal between 8:00 and 9:00am every day. I'm sure people were thinking, "There goes Lisa again to have her daily ritual..." Then it became a problem. It seems odd to me that it is not a problem anymore. I'm certain my fibroid was smaller earlier in the year. But I have to think it must push on various things at different stages of its growth. Everything is so close together down there, I'm sure it's a contributing factor.
Unread 08-30-2004, 05:23 PM

I had my TAH on 7-13. Prior to that I did have occassional problems with loose bowels or constipation. I used to be like clockwork. When I read my surgery report, it stated that my bowels were all in my upper abdomen. Since my surgery, my bowels did not know how to react.--three times a day for the first 2 weeks. After that, back to normal. I never put together that my large uterus and fibroids were probably causing bowel problems.
Unread 08-30-2004, 05:24 PM

In the week before my period I'd get constipated, that had happened almost from the start. Followed by diahhrea as soon as my period started. I think most of that was due to my hormones.

Before my surgery I took 450 mgs iron/3x day because I was so anemic. My DR told me to take each dose with a glass of orange juice - the kind with pulp only - for two reasons 1) cause the vitamin C helps the body absorb the iron and 2) the pulp in the juice helps prevent constipation. It really worked! I was more regular in those 6 weeks than I had been in my entire life.

Since surgery I have had very occasional problems with constipation, usually when I've forgotten the daily glass of orange juice!

So I think in my case it was a combination of getting rid of the big ol fibroid filled uterus and the ovaries with the fluctuating hormone levels, and getting a little more fiber every day.
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:32 AM

My uterus was 10 times its normal size. Estimated at a 4-wk-size uterus in the months before preop and told afterward it was a 5-month-size uterus. I was urinating quite frequently (quite disturbing as I tried to go to bed at night, in and out of bed!) and also was constipated all the time. The constipation on and off was a big issue I had dealt with prior to my diagnosis; I had always attributed it to poor dietary habits or lack of exercise, but it was the fibroids and lots of them!

Immediately after surgery there are adjustments your body has to make as your bowels go through some changes. Your physicians will help you with medication (probably stool softener) and dietary suggestions, suggestions regarding walking and drinking lots of water, which will help you with postop constipation. That is a temporary problem after surgery.

Now my bowels have returned to normal. My bladder has returned to normal. I also used to leak very small amounts of urine in my panties from bladder pressure from the fibroids preop and now I don't!

My DH and kids asked me the day after surgery if I felt that I had a void in my pelvic area--that an organ was missing. I say no, not at all, BUT I did feel that disease had left my body, and this feeling of increased wellness from the fibroids being removed only increases with time. I never knew the extent to which they were making me feel SO unwell until they were removed. I wish you the best!
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:34 AM

Bowel and stomach definatly a problem for me. Queasy and stomach hurts most of the time. Not hungry and when I eat it usually hurts more until it can work itself through. Pain meds make it worse as they are constipating. Been wondering if Im starting to obstruct as only small amounts able to release at a time. Surgery 9/13 and a docter that I wont be able to talk to until 9/7 at pre op. Large fibroids pushing on stomach and intestines are causing problems. Hope to be done with it soon!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway