HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Progesterone and bigger breasts?? Progesterone and bigger breasts??

Unread 09-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Progesterone and bigger breasts??

Hi all!

I have a question and more curious than anything. I have been on bio-identicals for almost 4 months now. I am on bi-est, progesterone, and testosterone. Does progesterone give you fuller (bigger) and firmer breasts? Or is that the works of estrogen?

Before my hysterectomy ...I would get fuller breasts before my period, and than they would start to shrink afterwards back to normal.

If this is the works of progesterone, than it's a miracle, cause my breasts are much more alive than they have been in a LONG time! :LOL:

Any thoughts?
Unread 09-03-2004, 11:32 AM

I sure wish i had that problem. Mine seem to be disapearing!
Unread 09-03-2004, 05:10 PM

My breasts were smaller before surgery ...but after being on the hormones for 4 months, they grew in size, and actually got firmer. I was just wondering if this is the works of progesterone.
Unread 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM

Hi Elizabeth Actually, there can be several influences that can all contribute to increased breast size.

Estrogen and progesterone both stimulate the breasts in different ways. Estrogen stimulates the tissues of the ducts, and progesterone stimulates the glandular tissue in the breasts. And then there is that post op weight gain... which tends to increase the size of the breasts as well as other areas

Here's a link to a great explanation of how hormones are involved in breast development at various stages in our lives (such as puberty, the menstrual cycle, menopause etc.). I hope it helps!

http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/breast_anatomy.asp

<link submitted to Resources>

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-04-2004, 08:04 AM

hi flameglow
i think it is the estrogen- because i dont have any progesterone in me and i just changed estrgen shots and my breasts are fuller and firmer again. - But progesterone can contribute if you are on both!
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:28 AM

Thanks for your answers....

I guess I am assuming it more to be the progesterone, because right after my surgery, my breasts lost their firmess, and fullness ...alot. When they did the saliva tests my progesterone was barely in my body and my estrogen higher, but lower than before surgery.

After I started the bio-identicals, they blew up, and got much firmer. I am not complaining, but they are very sore. We tried lowering the estrogen, which I am on very little now, and they are still big, and sore. I don't mind the growth, but the soreness I wish will go away. I am still on progesterone 25mg twice daily.

My compunding pharmacist looked at my second saliva test, and my estrogen still higher ....but my progesterone alot higher...so he says we are getting closer to being balanced. He lowered the estrogen, kept the progesterone the same, and wants to see how I do on the lower dose for the next month.

Will see what happens ....
Unread 09-07-2004, 03:32 PM

Hang in there when they adjust my estrogen type and i get a little more than i was gettin- my breasts get sore until i get used to the new dosage then the soreness goes away. Give it a little more time! good luck!
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
When I am on HRT

When I am on HRT, my breast grow. I have been off for a long while now and they are smaller than they were before the TAH.
Really bites too because I just wear a 34b to c, depends on who makes them.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.