I really need encouraging words about pain after TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I really need encouraging words about pain after TVH I really need encouraging words about pain after TVH

Unread 12-14-2000, 08:58 AM
I really need encouraging words about pain after TVH

I'm having a TVH/BSO 12/26 (at the most it may turn into a LAVH/BSO). I got my pre-op papers yesterday, and suddenly it felt so REAL! I realize how fortunate I am that I'm avoiding the pain and recovery of an abdominal incision, but I'm starting to get really afraid of the pain afterwards.

I forget the name, but someone just posted her LAVH story and talked about really bad pain that the pain meds didn't help much, and that got me so scared! I need to hear the GOOD stuff--LIE TO ME!! Only kidding, I don't want lies, but I'd like to hear some encouraging stories.

I know it won't be a picnic, and I'll have discomfort, but my dr. has made me think that I'll be in very minimal pain and that the pain meds will totally take care of. Now I'm not so sure and I'm getting scared. HELP! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2000, 09:14 AM

Everyone's pain level is different, but don't be scared by the postings of those who are having some problems. Remember, the whole point of these boards is to help those with problems both before and after surgery. Because of that, there are probably a higher percentage of communication from those with issues that from those who had smooth sailing.

I have a February date for a TAH, so I don't have any experience yet, but one of my best friends just had a TAH with bladder repair. She is 52 and somewhat heavy (which can be a problem with abdominal incisions) and she has had no problems. She just took it easy (all her hyst friends stressed that) and let herself heal. I'm only 41, so I figure that if an overweight 52 year old does this with no major complaints, a size 8 41-year should do fine. Have a positive attitude and remember that docs are pretty good at making sure that you have proper pain management. You may want to ask questions about whether you'll have a morphine pump (patient controlled) when you come out of surgery. The pump gives you that extra feeling of control since you are the one pushing the button, not waiting for the nurse to come with the shot. Also, some women on this site have had very good success with an epidural that stays in for awhile after surgery that blocks pain completely. Ask questions and relay your concerns to your doctor.

Again, this site can be a real comfort and source of information, but be careful about letting the less-than-positive stories scare you. My very best source for information and reassurance has been friends that have had hysts and are just fine now.
Unread 12-14-2000, 09:16 AM

Donna - I had tah/bso 3/22 - had morphine pump in hospital and came home with darvocet (1 refill) and ibuprofen 800 mg (2 refills). I took pain meds as prescribed...NOT just as I needed them..goal is to stay ahead of the pain...NOT try and get rid of it. At around week 3 post I tapered off pain meds while continuing to take ibuprofen. Make sure you have your prescriptions when you leave hospital.

The important thing to remember is there are LOTS of internal stitches...and RESTING - feet up will keep pressure off these stitches. The more you try to do post op the more pain you'll have...so just take it SLOW and EASY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2000, 10:24 AM

Donna I had a TVH on 11/15/00 It will be a month tomorrow. I want to let you know I am amazed how well my recovery has been. I have had my moments of some discomforts but all in all as far as pain I have done well. Most of the discomfort is from my stuff in there getting situated in its new home. Did have gas and bm problems the 1st couple of weeks but that has passed in the wind!! The only complaint I have is I am sooo tired. I can't seem to get past that yet. Hope it will get better as I go back to work the 1st of the year and feel I am getting lazy. And there is no place for that at my fast pace job. I do not know about the recovery of s LAVH. I did have a lap in Sept and I had a mishap but don't fret that doesn't happen very often. If that wouldn't of happen my recovery for that would of been great. Hope this helps.
Unread 12-14-2000, 10:43 AM

I had a TVH almost 3 mnths ago. The pain the first week was the most trying. I don't know whether I should really call it pain. My back ACHED SOOOOO bad but I used alot of A535 and believe me it helped. I was never on anything stronger than advil or extra strength tylenol. Just remember to take your meds on time as to not let the pain get away on you. Rest, walk little bits and drink lots of fluids. My recovery was speedy and uneventful but you can overdo things. BE CAREFUL of that!! I am now back to 100% all the time and have been this way for a few weeks. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Andrea U
Alberta Canada
TVH Sept 21
Unread 12-14-2000, 01:07 PM

I had my surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had a fair amount of pain after I arrived at my room and the anesthesiologists fixed me up. I had an epidural with sedatives and an epidural with pump afterwards. I am home now and stopped the heavy duty pain meds and am only taking motrin now. I do have some significant back pain at times and know when I have to rest ! I would do the surgery again in a minute.

My best advice is complain if the pain is not being managed properly. I complained when I got to my room and the problem was fixed relatively quickly.

Also, many of the pain meds cause itching, so ask your doctor for standing orders for benedryl for itching. Also, some can make you nauseous.

Try not to worry.
Unread 12-14-2000, 01:12 PM

Hey Donna, I hear you. I go in on Feb. 27 and I'll be gifted with a TVH. I wanted a TAH instead. Am I crazy? Dr. was able to talk me into the TVH. I just didn't want him messing up anything that was already ok (V from TVH). I know all the ins and outs. It's just psychological. I'd like to tag along on this thread to get vibes from the encouraging words that are posted for you. Take care. As they say, the waiting is the hardest part...Isn't that a Tom Petty song? Just asking.

Take care. Stop, breathe, relax.
Unread 12-14-2000, 01:20 PM
TVH pain...

Thanks for posting this message. It was very helpful to me as well. My surgery(TVH) is scheduled for December 22, 2000. I know what your going through. The thing I am most worried about is that my surgery is only considered day surgery. Being so close to Christmas I worry about any complications I may have over the holidays. My doctor did tell me that he was on call over the holidays, but it still doesn't seem to ease the worry. Hope all goes well with your surgery...I'll let you know how bad things really are when I'm all finished.
Feel free to e-mail me anytime. tmuller25@hotmail.com.

Tracy
TVH December 22, 2000.
Unread 12-14-2000, 01:27 PM
To Sherl

Yes, it WAS Tom Petty who said "the waiting is the hardest part", but Tom Petty probably had enough drugs to choke a horse and probably hasn't felt any pain since 1960.

(Do you know his phone number?)
Unread 12-14-2000, 01:32 PM

Hi, Donna. I had a TVH BSO November 13th and my story is a positive one. I know exactly how you feel. . .I needed to focus on the positive posts pre-op to keep myself from bolting. I was released from the hospital the 15th. I had very little pain while there. They put me on a demoral pump after surgery and I did punch the button some through the night, but the nurse said very little. They took me off it the next morning and started me on pills (hydrocodone)2 every 4 hours. I took 4. They sent me home with a prescription, but I haven't needed it. I also got the catheter removed that morning and was soon able to go on my own. My doctor is a big believer in walking for the soreness, so he wanted me to walk 3 times the day after surgery. It was hard at first, but each time, it got easier. That helped a great deal with the soreness. After I came home, I kept up the walking. First through my house several times, then I graduated to the drive-way. Then, up to 1/2 mile at one week--and a little over a mile at 2 weeks. Haven't looked back since. My doctor set very few restrictions other than no lifting, pulling, or pushing and, of course, nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks. He told me to do what I felt like doing and if it hurt "quit." He lifted all restrictions yesterday (at 4 weeks and 2 days). I am feeling better than I have felt in years. And, if I had the option of feeling like I felt before or having this done, I would take the surgery in a heartbeat!!! I am on the Climara patch (0.1 mg./day) and have had absolutely no symptoms of surgical menopause. I know this post sounds overly positive, but I just did not have any problems. I wanted to pass my experience on to you and I hope and pray that you will have the same results. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at upland@yft.net. I am here from 8:00 to 5:00 central. Good luck and best wishes to you, Cathy
For your info: my path report showed extensive adenomyosis and 2 small fibroids. I had very heavy bleeding that was keeping me anemic despite iron therapy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register