HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Question about removal of ovaries after hysterectomy Question about removal of ovaries after hysterectomy

Unread 09-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Question about removal of ovaries after hysterectomy

I had a TAH on 7/19/04 and I'm feeling great (except for the occasional twinge). I've read posts from some ladies who said that they had their ovaries removed well after they had their hysterectomy. My question is: How did the doc decide that you needed your ovaries removed?
I saw a physician's assistant who referred me to my gyn. She warned me that if I had a hysterectomy and kept my ovaries, I may not know if they needed to be removed later. One of the signs of ovary troubles is unusual bleeding, which you obviously will not have after a hysterectomy.
The reason I'm wondering about this is because I have had problems with my ovaries in the past. I would go for months without ovulating which caused me to not have a period. I had to be given hormones to jump start my periods. My ovary malfunctions were connected to a pituitary problem.
When my doctor opened me up, he said that they appeared normal. I'm not being a hypochondriac here. I just want to know if there is something I should look for.
Thanks.
Unread 09-06-2004, 11:08 AM

I don't think you are being a hypocondriac at all.

I would think you should watch for other signs of menopause, such as hot flashes, changes in hair and skin, energy levels and weight gain.
Sometimes women have trouble with cysts on their ovaries, and these cysts can be quite painful, - so pain would certainly be a reason to speak with the dr.

I have 2 suggestions.
1 - share your concerns with your dr - given your particular history the dr should find your concerns perfectly legitimate.
2. visit our resources directory and our hormone jungle forum

ok, maybe that is three suggestions....
Unread 09-06-2004, 11:36 AM

Usually post-hysterectomy ovary removal is for endometriosis, cysts or cancer.

It sounds like the issues you've been having with your ovaries are only about their function. Even if your ovaries shut down, there's usually no need to remove them.

You might want to check out the hormone jungle as CAS suggested. Some women use natural progesterone cream to regulate ovulation and keep their cycles on track as well as relieve other symptoms like breast tenderness.

I'd definitely talk to you doctor about your hormone levels and discuss whether or not you should get tested for your ovaries, pitutary and thyroid to get a baseline.
Unread 09-06-2004, 02:19 PM

Hi Jan,
I just had a BSO (ovaries & tubes) removed on August 5th. I had a TAH in June 2000. I had a TAH for endo, but kept my ovaries as they were good. Within 2 yrs the pain came back and we figured it was the endo, so the Dr put me on hormones to slow down the endo growth. At the end of May 2004 I had severe pain in my pelvic area - thinking it was a cyst that burst I didn't call my GYN. I didn't feel right for the next few days and the pain started to come back, so I called the Dr. I did have a cyst on my left ovary and since we thought the endo was back we decided to do the BSO. Ended up I had severe scar tissue in my pelvic area. I had also had lower back pain for about 4 months before my surgery - it is now gone. I am now 4 wks post op and getting ready to go back to work in a week. I am feeling pretty good and hope it stays that way. I am on the Clirmara patch.
The only thing I wish had been different with the surgery is that I didn't have another scar across my pelvic area (I have 3 - c-section, hyst & bso).
I notice that you are from Hopewell, VA - is that on the Eastern Shore? I know I have heard of it. I live onthe Eastern Shore about 10 outside of Salisbury, MD.
Take Care.
Ellen
Unread 09-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info. The first thing my doc did was blood tests, so he will know if there is a big change in my hormones. Because my husband is retired military, my insurance won't pay for me to go back to my doc unless I receive a referral from the local military clinic. I've already told my doc that I plan to come back to him for my annual checkups--even if I have to pocket the cost myself. I'd really like to have some continuity in my care. Not seeing the same doctor twice for all those years is what took me so long to get a diagnosis. Fortunately, open season for my health insurance at work is coming soon, so I plan to enroll.
Elliemae--no, Hopewell isn't on the shore. It's just south of Richmond. My husband works further east in Suffolk. He commutes an hour each way to teach high school over there. We just moved here last year.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.