HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

baby wipes anyone? baby wipes anyone?

Unread 09-08-2004, 08:10 AM
baby wipes anyone?

Hello everyone!!! After postponing the surgery from Aug 23..we are ready to go Sept 13. I am feeling good about this right now; actually excited . I do have a question... I have heard that it might be difficult to take a shower the first few days to a week and that baby wips work magic...anyone else heard that? Or any other suggestions? I think I have everything else ready to go...just in case anything comes up..body pillow, numerous pillows for proping, donut, tv, vcr, dvd, books, laptop and yes a cooler for the bedroom since I won't be able to up and down the stairs.

Any ideas on the baby wipes is greatly appreciated...THANKS FOR A GREAT SITE!!!!!

nik
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:27 AM
baby wipes anyone?

Baby wipes are good BUT after I was released from the Hospital - 4 days - they said I could shower that next day. I had to cover the incision with plastic. Gallon size bags - like ziplock work great.

Get lots of tape (you will need them for the bags and to change the dressing/bandage) and 4x9 bandages/dressings too I got the kind that says for heavy seepage because it has a plastic backing and was easier to tape over the incision. I ended up needing a total of 2 boxes and like 3 rolls of tape. You MAY NOT need that many but do get at least one of each. Something I never saw anyone tell me to get. Was glad DH when he went to get med. picked them up.

TAH on 7/19 Vertical incision
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
baby wipes anyone?

Hi,

I took baby wipes to the hospital with me when I had my surgery for those times I wanted to freshen up or wash my hands before meals without having to get out of bed.

However, in regards to showers, I took my first shower in the hospital and never had a problem at home either. The important thing to remember is that you may get very weak and fatigue easily, so it's important to have someone nearby when you shower the first few times. It also helps alot to have a plastic lawn chair or a bath bench in the tub so you can sit down and shower. (I didn't have to keep my incision dry, just had to dry it well after bathing. Guess it's up to your doctor.)

s,

Lisa
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:09 PM
baby wipes anyone?

I am going on Monday as well, and very excited to get it over on on with it. I am wearing sweats and a big t-shirt that says "property of Jesus" on it, taking a toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, body/hair shampoo wash, lip balm, brush, my own washcloth and towel (I know where theres have been) and thats it.HUgs, D
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:38 PM
baby wipes anyone?

My incision wanted to "leak" a little so the doctor told me NO SHOWER until it was totally dry for a full day. (I had mesh inserted and he didn't want to take a chance on that getting infected) I took good ol' fashioned "spit baths", I filled a clean sink with warm soapy water and used a wash rag to clean myself. Although it was nowhere near a shower, it was refreshing and kept the flys away
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:53 PM
baby wipes anyone?

I found baby wipes refreshing the 1st day after surgery. I only put a few in a sandwich bag and didn't use them all since I was allowed a shower the following day. I was told to take the tape off my incision while showering and haven't needed to cover it during showering since. It has been 2 wks. now since my total abdominal hysterectomy. Outside incision has healed quickly.
Best wishes to you and speedy recovery.
Unread 09-08-2004, 04:13 PM
baby wipes anyone?

I bought a box of those cotonelle(is that spelled right?)wipes with the refill. I took them to the hospital with me and I can honestly say this is probably the only thing I took that I used! I am still using them. Since I had repairs in my bottom I use them to clean my self after I go potty. I like these better than baby wipes. Baby wipes believe it or not are a bit harsh on my hiney. I am not allowed to take a bath and I dont have a shower. These have come in handy a few times when I was too sore to get in the tub for my sponge bath. I think the wipes were very handy. I used them alot to keep my hands clean or to keep my incision clean.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.