HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Last Procedure Of The Day Last Procedure Of The Day

Unread 09-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Last Procedure Of The Day

i AM SCHEDULED FOR MY OPERATION AT 12:30(tvh WITH BLADDER REPAIR)dOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THEY DECIDE THE ORDER OF THE SURGERIES,OR IS IT JUST THE LUCK OF THE DRAW?i GET SO DEHYDRATED BY THEN AND AM SO HARD TO START IV'S ON.
;
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:46 AM

My surgery was scheduled for 12:30 but it was because the surgeon and assistant surgeon had morning office hours and could not come to the hospital until noon. It also can depend on how the surgery schedule is that day and if they don't have a room available until then. I know that it is a long wait and having surgery first thing in the AM is so much better, but you will be fine.

Good luck with your surgery
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:50 AM

My surgery is scheduled for 1:30pm, I asked Dr why so late, he said that he does the simpler surgeries (i.e. D&C's) early AM. He did tell me I could drink some water until 7am the day of surgery (check with your Dr he may suggest that for you too). Good luck - Liz
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:58 AM

I just finished posting about MY troubles with IV starts and found your post! You might mention to anesthesia your previous difficulties with getting an IV started with being dehydrated. Maybe it would get you bumped up to a more desirable surgery time. If not, and you don't want to have your surgery pushed back to another day just to get a better time, inquire about possibly coming into the hospital earlier in the day with the people scheduled for early surgery, then they can put in an IV when you aren't like 12 hours dehydrated, and you can then wait there (not sure how you feel about hospitals, though). You can also ask your doctor about maybe having a hep-lock put in the day before or earlier on the day of surgery (in case you don't want to hang around preop area for hours). With this, they place the IV catheter and inject a small amount of heparin (to keep your blood from clotting) into the tube and tape it down. Then, when you get to the hospital in the morning, all they have to do is hook up your tubing and bag of fluid.

If your doctor balks at this, tell him how hard you are to get an IV into. If the nurses can't get an IV started, then they have to call in anesthesia (already busy people) to do it, and this could likely set his surgery schedule behind!

But, first try to see if they will schedule you earlier...chances are it was just the first slot they found open!

Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.