HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hot Flash - Vitex Angus Castus Hot Flash - Vitex Angus Castus

Unread 12-16-2000, 08:16 AM
Hot Flash - Vitex Angus Castus

I have recently carried out some research into Angus Casuts and was amazed at the claims made with regard to its effect on hormones and in particular hot flashes.

Has anyone used Agnus Castus? If yes, did you find it beneficial? Also, please let me know if you found it of no benefit

DeAnna
Unread 12-16-2000, 04:03 PM
Hot Flash - Vitex Angus Castus

Ummm, I'd be amazed at its claims too since what little research there is does not involve its effect on menopausal symtpoms. I'm not sure whether it makes sense. Herbal information on the web is very tricky since most of it comes from sites trying to sell it. So many are magic elixirs, which is too bad because there can be real benefits, but it makes it really hard to sort out.

Agnus castis apparently can help with regulating menstruation and getting milk to let down when nursing, expanding milk glands in your breasts. It seems to work by stimulating the release of luteinizing hormone, which encourages the ovaries to release progesterone. Now, in natural menopause, that might actually be beneficial if what you have is estrogen dominance (but not all menopauses follow that pattern) AND you have ovaries. But stimulating the ovaries to release progesterone isn't going to do women in surgical menopause much good. I'm also suspicious in that earlier herbalists didn't use it for menopause. Trial and error taught the early herbalists a lot, so that's suspicious.

Prolactin might cause some problems I suppose, but I wouldn't think we'd want it higher around here. So, I think you'd probably only get the placebo effect from it--if you believe it works--or perhaps some relief if your problem is a bad estrogen/progesterone balance and you still have ovaries. Mostly though, I think you wouldn't be getting much benefit for the costs.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.