HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

weight and inches lost after removal of large fibroids? weight and inches lost after removal of large fibroids?

Unread 09-12-2004, 09:01 PM
weight and inches lost after removal of large fibroids?

Hi,
I am scheduled for surgery in a week from monday, I am having some large fibroids and will be having my uterus and cervix removed. I have opted to keep my healthy ovaries unless the doctor finds a problem when he is in there. My question is this,since my uterus is the size of someone who is 4 months pregnant and my fibroids are large i was wondering if women in a similar situation have found that they lost weight or inches after the surgery, I understand you are swollen for a while but when all is said and done. I am trying to find some bright light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks
Oona
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:19 PM

Hi Oona
Yes I found that I lost 10 lbs and Im sure a couple of inches although I havnt measured and I live in my PJ's and havnt tried my regular clothes, but my stomach is smaller.
I am 10 days post=op, I lost 5 lbs just having the surgery and 5 lbs in the next few days I was home from the hosp.
Of course I was wishing that thing weighed about 50 lbs (lol !)
Anyway I was happy with that. Its one of the little bonuses of having this done.

Best wishes
Linda

Unread 09-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Hi Oona. The total mass removed in my surgery equalled two 24-week single pregnancies and a little extra tissue for good measure. I lost 16 pounds and I have no idea how many inches, but it was a matter of my stretchy pants going from way stretched to fitting loosely.
Unread 09-14-2004, 04:26 AM

My uterus weighed 380 grams, size by palpation was about 18 weeks. A normal uterus is about 50 grams. So the 380 sounds like a lot right? Wrong. 380 grams equals about 13 ounces. Uh huh, just 13 ounces.

I did lose about 10 pounds right after surgery, mostly due to the lack of appetite. When my appetite returned so did about 5 of those pounds.

Once the swelly belly was gone, yes my tummy was a little flatter. I don't have a problem bending over, or tying my shoes like I did before. There was a lot of pressure before when I did stuff like that, from the uterus pressing on other stuff.

Best wishes!
Unread 09-14-2004, 05:31 AM

Hi oona-
Yes- I lost weight and inches. My uterus was the size of a 41/2 month pregnancy.I had a large tumor attached to the outside also. I lost 12 lbs. and I'm not sure how many inches. I've not tried on jeans yet. My stomach is MUCH flatter though! I can even see the scar from my appendectomy now LOL. Oh well- you can't have it both ways!

I think you'll see a big difference when everything is over.

Blessings-
Amber

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.