HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Size of fibroid... anyone w/ a 6 cm only ? Size of fibroid... anyone w/ a 6 cm only ?

Unread 09-14-2004, 02:01 AM
Size of fibroid... anyone w/ a 6 cm only ?

I am wondering if I am being a "baby" ... wanting a hysterectomy for a 6 cm fibroid ( I also have "multiple" ones).

Seems that other women's are SO much larger than mine...
and they have other problems in conjunction..

Me? I seem to just have the multiples, plus the one..

But.. I can feel a dull to sharp pain where the large one is, all the time. And I have ALL the other problems ( bleeding, clotting, pain, short cyles, etc) that other women have.

Anyone else who has one my ( small) size, and having a hysterectomy because of it?

~ feeling wierd...
Karin
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:16 AM

I only have one fibroid and that is relatively small compared to the ones our sisters on this site have, like you though I have severe bleeding, clotting but worse of all the pain. I have also felt as though I am a baby compared to some who seem to suffer much more but quite frankly I have had enough of all that and when I got to the end of my tether a hysterectomy was my only option to get away from all that. Please dont worry it is not the size of anything that matters its what you are going through and your peace of mind. Hope this makes sense and helps

's

Suze
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:16 AM

the size of a fibroid or fibroids is not always the issue.

Yes, if they are bigger they can push on other organs and weigh on them -- but smaller ones can also cause problems - for example if they are located in the "right"(?) spot, they can contribute to of extra bleeding.

Don't try to justify your surgery based on someone else's symptoms. You need to focus on what problems the fibroids are causing you, and go with that.

I think the biggest I had was only 4cm, but I had a lot, and the bleeding was just too much to continue coping with.
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:21 AM
sorry just wanted to add

The sisters on this site and wonderful, caring supportive ladies and welcome you with open arms. I have only been on this site for a very short while but have learned so much from them, I am sure that you will get the understanding and support we all have here.
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:27 AM
OH.. I love my hystersisters SOO much..

WOW... I swear.. and I even got your two responses in lickety split time after I posted mine!

Thank you for affirming my .... own pain.

I just began to feel wierd all of a sudden, after spending the last few hours reading many many posts from women..

And then the old, "Oh.. don't be a baby" tapes started to play and well... then my DEAR SISTERS here, came to the rescue.

I mean... I am in such bad shape I CANNOT WORK..

What kind of pain do you feel Suze?
For me.. it is a dull to sharp pain on my right side.

I was afraid it was my ovary or something but then one day a dr. put her hand inside me and pushed where the fibroid is and THEN i KNEW.. it was the fibroid... because it was pushing out on the exact spot where I always have that pain. ( sometimes, pain is a little hard to pin point.. but this pin pointed it spot on!).

Thank you so much for your wonderful responses...

grateful,

Karin
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:39 AM

Karin,

I feel I am one of the lucky ones on this site because I only really suffer just before Aunty Flo arrives but do have a bit of a bad time for a couple of weeks when she does. I must admit though I am very lathargic all the time but before I just put that down to the never ending demands of my job me. I am a strong person and have never suffered from nerves but at the moment I am a quivering wreck and driving everyone nuts and I am still a week away but I cant praise the sisters on this site enough, as I said earlier they are wonderfully supportive and in my opinion are gods little s

Suze
Unread 09-14-2004, 05:31 AM

Please don't minimize your sufferings by comparing yours to others in the site. We all are different, with different symptoms and complaints, with different severities...but we're all after the same goal...to be healthier, happier woman.

God Bless,

Mich
Unread 09-14-2004, 06:58 AM

I only had a relatively small fibroid. Did hysteroscopy and found 4 more beginning to develop. I even asked doc "how could such a small fibroid cause so much pain?". He advised it was located in just the "right" location. I had anemia, large clots, massive bleeding, periods 2x per month, PAIN. No fun at all.

Get it taken care of. I'm 3 weeks post-op, drove yesterday for the first time and doing well.

You'll feel so much better!!!! All the nurses advised that some pains and aches (back), and digestive problems that you didn't attribute to fibroids would be relieved.

P.S. Thanks to all nurses out there - you are all a integral part in recovery.
Unread 09-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Preventive action

Hi!

Before the operation, I read lots of posts, and realized that many sisters have had huge problems for years and years before resorting to the operation, as well as complications afterwards.

I had one big orange sized and lots of smaller ones, it turned out. They offered me embolization to reduce the big fibriod, and I thought about it for a short time and declined. Even though the actual size of the fibrioid is small now, it dosn't mean it won't grow! If you get rid of the big one, the smaller ones might grow.... And I didn't much fancy being a repeat custumer at the hospital.

I opted for the hyster now, as a preventive measure really. Better good years for the rest of my life, than several in increasing pain and discomfort before either menopause or actully doing the hyster.

Good luck to you!

Ellen
Unread 09-14-2004, 07:36 AM

kmoon... It's definitely the symptoms that count, not the size.... I too had the constant dull ache, heavy clotting, bleeding, etc. I went back and forth about my decision to have a hysterectomy, while the fibroids continued to grow in size and in number. I am 4 months post-op now and feel soooo much better. I have not regretted my decision for one minute. There is no "baby" when it comes to suffering, and no one can judge it but you... The hystersisters were a great support group and really helped me to feel confident about my decision.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.