HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What exactly does keeping your cervix do for you? What exactly does keeping your cervix do for you?

Unread 09-17-2004, 11:28 AM
What exactly does keeping your cervix do for you?

I'm just wondering. Based on all the medical diagrams I've looked at, the cervix seems to be just the bottom portion of the uterus. Does it have a special purpose that makes it more beneficial to keep it if you can?
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:37 AM

I asked my doctor that and she said it was a matter of choice. She recommends removing it all but some doctors don't. She said there are alot of myths out there and she could tell me that she had her cervix removed when she had her hysterectomy and everything has been fine.

I have heard it keeps your pelvic floor intact but I don't know if it really does since so many I know have had their's removed with no problems or complaints since the surgery.
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:43 AM

I don't know either. I had mine removed because I had heard of cervical cancer, so, I said to the doc....take it all. Some people say it helps make sex better. But, I don't know. I personally can't tell any difference at all.
Take Care,
Sunshine 48

TAH/BSO 7-6-2004
Burch bladder procedure
Unread 09-17-2004, 12:04 PM

The cervix helps with pelvic floor support and is partially responsible for secreting moisture for the vagina (there are other glands that do that as well, so don't worry if you don't keep your cervix, you'll still be able to get aroused).

Some women can feel their cervix during intercourse and many women experience orgasms centered there (during contractions during an orgasm, the cervix "dips" into the vagina supposedly to get better contact with the semen).

It's a personal choice. Not all procedures allow for keeping the cervix (the vaginal ones) so you have the advantage with the abdominal one to choose.

If you do choose to keep your cevix, have your doctor test you for the strains of HPV (human papilloma virus) that can cause cervical cancer (not all strains cause cervical cancer and not all women who have HPV will get cervical cancer). If you keep your cervix you'll still have to have regular paps.

My suggestion is to observe how you are aroused, where you feel good during sex and how your body reacts to an orgasm.

I am always of the mind to keep whatever is healthy.

I kept my cervix and my orgasms seem to be absolutely the same as they were before surgery. I haven't had sex yet, and I'm hoping that's even better now that I don't have those huge fibroids pushing on me.

Take care.
Unread 09-17-2004, 01:11 PM

Hi Janbo,

For me, since I was a candidate, I kept my cervix for the reasons listed already.

The cervix is the size of a large button and my Dr. told me it could provide future pelvic support, help with sex and that the cervix does secrete a mucus that helps prevent vaginal dryness.

I had my cervix cauterized to prevent the mini-period you might have read about.

I am very glad I kept my cervix. I feel it has helped with sex in post-op and I feel it is giving me the added pelvic support for recovery. My bladder and colon are also working well.

Good luck. The cervix is a very personal decision.

Mary
Unread 09-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Have you discussed it with your DR?

All DR's seem to have different opinions about the cervix. This is the way my DR explained it to me (and I value her opinion, that's why you should discuss it with your own DR, I assume his/her opinion is more important to you than someone else's opinion): the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

My experience with sex is it is the same without the cervix as it was with it. I also haven't had any problems with my bladder. My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago.
Unread 09-17-2004, 03:04 PM

I agree w/everything MaryLou said 100%!

Please remember pap smears are still needed even if you don't keep your cervix. The test will be done for vaginal cancer, even tho that type of cancer is rare. Some Drs. recommend every yr., some say every 2 and some say every 5 yrs. I'm going w/every yr. Why take the chance?
Unread 09-17-2004, 04:52 PM

Hi,
I kept my cervix because there was nothing wrong with it. It just felt right to keep it. I'm happy with my decision. Good luck!
Unread 09-18-2004, 02:56 PM

I kept mine for support reasons, and for sex reasons. VERY glad I did.

Doctor did cauterize it really well to avoid mini-periods, but since she had to remove both ovaries, there was little chance of that.

I can say that my moisture during sex has greatly INCREASED since the surgery - along with my sex drive. I think my body was overwhelmed with too much estrogen from malfunctioning ovaries. Also, I tend to feel my cervix during sex, and I didn't want that feeling to go away.

It's YOUR decision - I actually had to be very firm about wanting to keep the cervix (made them cross out TAH on my consent form, and write in SAH, and keep cervix).

For me, with no history of cervical cancer in the family, and my own reasons for wanting to keep it, I am very happy I did.
Unread 09-18-2004, 05:16 PM

Interestingly, my physician asked me about my cervix at the last appointment, kind of off topic. He said it comes as a decision point for him with other patients so he wanted to know how I felt about mine, if it helped with sensation. I suppose everyone is different. My answer to him was yes, as to when was an option for him to spare it for other patients, if I felt it helped me. (I had not chosen, it was done emergently, so the hyst choices were made while I was unconscious).

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway