HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Why do you have to stop vitamins before surgery? Why do you have to stop vitamins before surgery?

Unread 09-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Why do you have to stop vitamins before surgery?

I'm sure my Dr would tell me if I called, but I don't want to bother her with the question. The nurse that told me simply said, "It's procedure"

I'm so going to miss my vitamins in the 2 weeks prior to surgery! I know it's probably psychosomatic, but I just feel better when I take them!

Does anyone know why you have to stop vitamins before surgery?
Unread 09-21-2004, 08:33 AM

Hi Ary,

Some vitamins can cause problems during surgery. There is an article in "Pre-Op Articles" on the left side of the home page that explains this. I'll try to put the link on here, but I can't promise it will work because I'm still on my first cup of caffeine

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsarticle.php?id=2519

s
Cat
Unread 09-22-2004, 01:15 AM

I haven't heard of this, they want me to take Vit C and Iron. Also before my last surgery which was MAJOR. They advised me to take multi vit,extra C,Iron, calcium and B complex. I started right back on them as soon as I was well enough to eat and keep anything down. The Dr. was delighted.

I guess it is each hosp procedure. I do know that certain herbs can cause problems with clotting etc. I will stop a green formula I take and Melatonin 2 weeks prior. Just to be safe.

If they advise not to take them, then by all means, don't. Thet have their reasons.

Good Luck!

Blue
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:26 AM

Wowzers... I had no idea... doctor did not mention anything to me yet.. but my surgery is 3 weeks away..I was told to triple my iron and 2x prenatal vitamins...I also get a B-12 shot weekly due to poor stomach absorption..and take oscal and vitamin C.... I'll have to ask a few ????Thanks for the thread...

sharon
sassypickles
Unread 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM

The issue is that most multi-vitamins include supplemental vitamin E. Vitamin E can cause the blood to thin and that can cause problems during and after surgery.

Follow your doctor's orders, but my pre-op orders specifically said to avoid vitamin E supplements, including any multi-vitamins that included vitamin E.

If your multi-vitamin does not include vitamin E, it may be OK, but check with your doctor.
Unread 09-22-2004, 05:07 PM

I was also told to stop vitamins as they contain Vit. E, and this particular vitamin thins the blood. Definitely not somethig you want during surgery, but every doctor has different opinions. It would be best to ask your doctor or his nurse to be sure you are on the right path.

Take care!
Linda
Unread 09-22-2004, 05:43 PM

I agree, that vitamin E as well as multi vit w/ vit E in it and herbal sub. Coumadin or any other blood thinners. Also some drs like pts to avoid taking Advil, Motrin, or any other anti-inflammatories. It's best to check what your doctor prefers.

Good Luck,
Robin

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.