HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Keeping ovaries, still menopausal symptoms? Keeping ovaries, still menopausal symptoms?

Unread 09-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Keeping ovaries, still menopausal symptoms?

I am having a TAH on 9-30. My dr. said I can keep my ovaries but I am still worried since I have read a lot about them going into shock and not working for a while afterwards.

Does anybody know, do drs. usually use hormones in that case? I wont see my dr. until right before my surgery but the hormone things scare me.
Unread 09-27-2004, 08:13 PM

I was also able to keep my overies and have not had to take any hormone treatment yet. I am 5 days post op and seems to be having hot flashes. Thats about all. My dr. never mentioned anything about my overies not working. If you are concerned I would call your dr. and ask him just to be sure. Hope I helped and good luck sister!!!
Unread 09-27-2004, 08:29 PM

Most ovary shock lasts only a few weeks, but for some women it can last six or twelve months (and rarely when there has been too much damage to the blood vessels they won't wake up at all). If you are going in for a simple procedure (no bladder repair, endo removal, cyst excision or other work) it's usually easier on the body because the procedure is shorter, there's less loss of blood and of course less anesthesia because you're not under as long.

You should be able to weather the storm of a few weeks of ovary shock, but if it goes on longer than six or eight, you should definitely talk to your doctor about some sore of hormone supplement, as being without estrogen for a long time can leave you vulnerable to osteoporosis.

I had a few night sweats from day five to day ten, but after that my ovaries kicked in - I ovulated right on schedule last month.

You might want to make up a list of these last few questions and call your doctor tomorrow so that you can put your mind at ease before going in for your procedure.

Take care.
Unread 09-27-2004, 09:01 PM

I had my hysterectomy in February, 2002 at age 41. I kept both ovaries which continued to work fine after surgery. I had no "ovary shock" and need no HRT yet.

Unread 09-27-2004, 09:47 PM

Hi Kimmikat,

I am 46 and 5 months post-op and I kept my ovaries. My ovaries also did not go into shock. They have been working fine since surgery.

I can suggest you call your Dr's office if you have any questions. You have a couple of days still until your surgery.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-28-2004, 12:28 AM

Hi,

I am 39 years old, nine weeks postop and kept one ovary. I have had a few times when I think that I was having a hot flash. I say I think as it felt weird like I was warmer than the room or weather would warrant, but it is unlike anything that I have experienced before. I can only guess that it was hot flashes. It has not been too bad and I have also had symptoms of ovulation. I have had breast tenderness and skin breakouts like around my period. Therefore, I am guessing that my ovary is working, but maybe not up to full power??

I have not taken any HRT and am feeling well.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Judy
Unread 09-28-2004, 04:53 AM

Thank you all so much!! Thats the only reason I am even keeping my ovaries is because of the hormone stuff. I am only 36 and Im sure I have a few more years before I have to go through it, would rather wait!!

Im giving my mom a list of questions to talk to the dr. about in case Im too out of it at the hospital but I am surely going to ask him and see what he says. Hopefully I have just as much luck as you all did.

Thanks again!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.