HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

go lightly stuff to drink? go lightly stuff to drink?

Unread 09-28-2004, 03:53 PM
go lightly stuff to drink?

i know i am stressing about every little detail! but how awful is the Go Lightly junk i will have to drink, and how much of it will i have to drink??? ewwwwwww
Unread 09-28-2004, 04:32 PM

I had no prep before surgery, sorry!
My friends had to drink it before their colonoscopy. I guess it is not the best thing to drink.....but it is harder for people who don't consume much liquid during a day.
Good luck!
Unread 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM

Oh, how well I am familiar with the GoLightly drink...I had to do this every year in preparation for annual colonoscopy.

The best suggestion I have is to refrigerate it the day before you need it - it is more palitable when its chilled.

Keeping to the schedule of drinking a glass every 10 minutes can be a challenge. And I won't lie to you, it begins to get sort of gagging as you approach the bottom of that gallon jug. The first few glasses aren't too bad, I can only describe the taste as 'heavy water'. But then, as you drink more and more, it begins to develope a kind of subtle salty taste. I don't think it was so much the taste that got me to gagging, but the simple fact that I was drinking so much liquid in such a short period of time. I also found it gave me the chills because I was consuming so much cold liquid. I put on a sweater and was fine.

My doctor told me to just get through as much of it as possible, and it wasn't a tragedy if I didnt completely finish it all, as long as I got most of it down, and my bathroom trips resulted in clear liquid BM's.

Good luck to you - its not pleasant, but if I can do it (and I'm a whimp) you can do it! Cheers, and bottoms up!
Unread 09-28-2004, 05:12 PM

Drink it ice cold!!!! I also used a straw so it wouldn't touch my taste buds as much. You can do it - good luck!
Unread 09-29-2004, 07:25 AM

Well, it wasn't the worst thing I ever tasted but, it was close!
I agree, chill it! I chugged it as fast as I could.
When you start to "go" be sure to have some baby wipes or personal wipes. You get rather raw from going and they soothe!
Best wishes to you!
Sybie
Unread 09-29-2004, 08:33 AM

Only drink it or do anything that your dr has ordered for you to do. Not all ladies have to do a bowel prep before their surgery. I had only a fleets enema that was administered to me after I got to the hospital.

If you do have to drink the Golitely, the suggestions already given are good ones. I had to drink this ( in my IMO, not so very golightly ) before a colonoscopy - nothing makes it "good".

Best wishes.

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.