HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bladder sling AFTER hysterectomy bladder sling AFTER hysterectomy

Unread 10-02-2004, 08:40 AM
bladder sling AFTER hysterectomy

just a question for the ladies.................has anyone had their hysterectomy and then find out that the bladder sling should of been done. if so, what did you end up doing and how long afer hyst?
Unread 10-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Bladder sling

I too would be interested in an answer to that question. In my pre-op appt with my Gyno Doc I asked about the procedure. I'm older and having some problems with incontinence. My Doc replied that I could have it done later by another gynocologist on staff. Afterwards, I found out that it was because the Gyno Doc doing my operation had no expertise in this area. As I look back I realize I should have insisted that the Doc with the expertise do the operation and the bladder sling be done then. Now my incontinence has worsened, especially after a cough or sneeze. I'm keeping the sanitary napkin companies in business. I hope someone out there can answer your question. I will check back periodically. Hugs, anna
Unread 10-02-2004, 06:39 PM

I am sorry to hear about your bladder problems. I live in your area and there is a great doc in Mtn. View that has taken care of a few of my friends who had this same problem. If you would like I could give you her name and phone number. She is a great surgeon and did a friend of mine's bladder repair last month.

Maria
Unread 10-02-2004, 09:00 PM

I didn't even have any incontinence complaints but my gyn insisted I see a urologist. She said with a uterine prolapse the incontinence problems often show up after the hys. I went through alot of urology tests and ended up with bladder sling/repairs by urologist same time as hys. Noticed my roommate ended up with another surgery day after hyst. by urologist because of uretha complications..so I was being grateful my gyn was picky.
Unread 10-03-2004, 02:14 AM

i had the hysterectomy in July '03 and in March '04 I had the Monarc Hammock procedure (done by a gyn/uro cause i FIRED the gyn who did my hyst).
Unread 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM
devil's advocate, here

My GYN wanted to do a bladder sling with my hyst, due to the stress incontinence and urinary frequency problems I'd been experiencing. Thank God for this website and all the other educational info I gathered! In my case, had never given birth AND it was apparent that I had monster-sized, multiple fibroids. Therefore, could not imagine that the problem was in my bladder....I believed it was merely under stress, like the kind pregnant women have, that goes away after delivery. Turned down my GYN's offer (I'd asked him if he could go ahead and do it while he was in there, in case he saw the need....He told me it's not apparent to the naked eye under that circumstance, usually.) I knew I was gambling, but it just seemed logical that it was the pressure of the fibroids causing my problem, and nothing else. Well........Thank God, I was right! Once all that stuff in my abdomen was removed, my poor little bladder was no longer being bullied. My undies stay dry, even during sneezing. I've become the Kegel Queen, now, just to help keep it that way! If I'd had the sling, I would be having problems now. In summary, it's good that we women examine our unique, personal factors and educate ourselves, so that we can make decisions with which we can live.
Unread 10-03-2004, 04:11 PM
bladder sling

Maria - Thanks for the concern but I have Kaiser and would have to stay in the system for the operation otherwise the cost would be prohibitive. anna

Fibroid Woman - Why do you think it would have been a mistake if you had had a bladder sling? Do woman usually have problems with this procedure?
Can woman remain active with it ie; swim, walk, bike?? anna
Unread 10-03-2004, 06:42 PM

Bladder slings are WONDERFUL, but only if you need one. I didn't. If I'd had it done, it would have tightened up the inside of a NORMAL bladder, making it too difficult to urinate. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Unread 10-03-2004, 10:30 PM

My GYN & I discuss the bladder sling being done w/ my hyst too and we decided against it. Like fibroidwoman said, I was hoping the hyst would alleviate the stress incontinence. The urodynamic studies I had done were only borderline because I could not reproduce a leak during the testing. Without that measured leak during the test, the doctor said it would be wise to wait and see if the hyst helped. He feared it would be very easy to OVERcorrect the bladder support and then I wouldn't be ABLE to urinate.

As it turns out, from all the dissecting he did of bladder adhesions and endo, I had a very, very difficult time urinating post-op. My urinary retention lasted a few days and I had to have the cath replaced 3 times. Had I gone ahead with the surgery I would have thought this was an over-correction of the urethral support.

The weird twist now is this.... not only can I "go", but my stress incontinence is much worse now. It might be a hormonal thing, but regardless.... one of these days down the road I'll be going back for the bladder repair. I want to be rid of pads once and for all!

Please ask your doctor about the urodynamic studies if you haven't already done so. (Painless, but not pleasant if you're modest like me) Using a special "potty" and some electrodes they hook you up to, they can measure your bladder pressure, urination stream, and then refill your bladder and measure the pressures when you leak during a laugh, cough or sneeze, etc.)
This is most helpful when deciding whether your problems are from bladder spasms or not. Some bladder problems can be fixed with meds and could be made worse with surgery.

I hope this informaton helps.
Good luck with your decision. A friend of mine just had the sling and said her only complaint was that she waited so long to do it!
Unread 10-05-2004, 03:24 AM

I had my hysterectomy 11 years ago and had to have a bladder suspension last year. It was the best decision. No pain. My gyno did the surgery. Tried the meds but they did'nt work. Life is much better not having to worry about peeing my pants.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.