HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

No Hormone Therapy No Hormone Therapy

Unread 10-03-2004, 08:04 PM
No Hormone Therapy

I had my surgery on June 8th, a complete hysterectomy. My doctor has not put me on anything except the normal stuff (iron and pain relievers). I am just wondering if anyone else is not on anything either. I was pretty much under the impression that you started having symptoms of menopause right after surgery. The only thing that I notice is night sweats about every two or three days but not unmanagable. I am feeling great, back to work, no pain or anything except the twinges and burning on the left side every once in awhile....so should I even wonder why I wasnt put on something???....hahaha...I guess I worry even when I shouldnt at times....any comments???.... Gayle
Unread 10-04-2004, 09:06 PM
No hormone therapy

Consider yourself lucky and don't worry. I was menopausal at 58 and suffered no side effects. At 62 on June 28th I had a TAH and have been suffering with hot flashes and night sweats. Drs will not give me HRT because of a pre-existing heart condition. He says this will all pass within months!! So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Hugs, anna
Unread 10-04-2004, 09:18 PM
No Hormone Therapy

I'lm starting estrogen tomorrow. The DR told me to call when I started having the symptoms ( which took 1 week and 3 days). When they started, they started hard.
Unread 10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
No Hormones given after hystercetomy

I had a TVHS with A/P repairs 3 weeks ago (both overies removed). I am 48 years old and was not yet having any menopause symptoms before the surgery. I too was very worried about HRT, so I insisted that my doctor start me out on a hormone patch one weeks after surgery. Well, one week later I was having terrible insomnia and panic attacks so the doctor took me back off the patch. I seem to be doing okay now (am sleeping much better) and am taking a low dose of xannax for the panic attacks. I do still have the crying spells, but I plan to wait until my 4 week check up to see if I need HRT. I am having a few hot flashes, but nothing I can't live with. I agree that "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Hopefully we might be the lucky ones who can breeze through life without too many of the hormone problems. Good luck! ONE DAY AT A TIME!
Unread 10-05-2004, 02:35 AM
No Hormone Therapy

I was a couple of years post menopause when I had my surgery. I had hot flashes, mood swings, and crying spells so I knew what it was. I have started having hot flashes again. Not too bad but noticeable. Has anyone else had that happen?
Unread 10-05-2004, 05:34 AM
No Hormone Therapy

Hi Gayle,

I had all the symtoms of menopuse going into the surgery...night sweat and hot flashes...and the mood swings were hard when I went through them a couple of years back...so now that I've had the surgery and having all the same symptoms as before, seems easy to live with compared to my life before the surgery. I guess your doc may be the type of doc to wait and see how you do without the HRT...and it sounds like your doing fine without it...my doc says that without HRT, she just wants to make sure my bones stay healthy and she will keep an eye with bone density tests. Take care and God Bless!

hugs,

Mich

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway