HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Wheezing and coughing after surgery Wheezing and coughing after surgery

Unread 10-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Wheezing and coughing after surgery

I had a TAH Sept.29th. I was wheezing some in the hospital and it continues. I am coughing quite a lot now and I can hear the wheezing when I inhale and exhale. Is this normal stuff maybe from the anestesia? Should I call my doctor and discuss it with her today?

Second thing, still no bowel movement since surgery. but I am able to pass gas now and then... Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Diane
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:28 AM

First of all you NEED to let your doctor know that you are wheezing. This could be asthma or it could be bronchitis or any number of things and you should be checked and listened to A.S.A.P.
As for the bowels, well they can be a pain in the butt Try stool softeners and LOTS of water. If you are having discomfort try Milk of Magnesia. The doctor would not want you to strain and hurt yourself! Use the laxative as a last resort. If you are having gas pains try Gas X. It works wonders! Good luck and good healing sister!
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:40 AM
post op stuff

Glad you are home and able to get on the computer for some company!

Yes, I agree that you should call your doctor right away about the wheezing-I am pretty sure they would want to see you and listen to it also.

When you were in the hospital for the first day or so after surgery did they have you take big breaths and breathe into this plastic device that showed how deep a breath you could take? Deep breathing and coughing was supposed to help keep your lungs clear.

Also, the famous BM after surgery I have read on this site from other posts that it took anywhere from one day to 8 days after surgery, but some had to have it checked out because it got impacted. But that was after quite awhile. For me it was the day after I came home from the hospital-surgery on Tuesday-BM on Friday. It was like giving birth without anesthetic!

Good advice I read on here was if you feel like you need to go, sit on the toilet for a minute or two, if nothing happens, then get up and walk around the house a while. Then try again. Keep doing that. The nurses in the hospital told me that rocking in a rocking chair also helps. So did screaming

Know we are all here cheering for your quickest recovery!
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:43 AM

Hi Diane 214

I had a TAH on 17th Feb and got a chest infection from the anaesthetic tube I was coughing and wheezing quite badly whilst in hospital, when I came out my family doctor prescribed some antibiotics. It soon cleared it up. Although the main worry for me was the coughing and pulling my tummy muscles be sure to hold a pillow against your scar and sit up straight when you cough, and try to cough from your chest and not your tummy.

Also the bowl movement - I am surprised they released you from hospital if you have not had one yet. I would try to drink as much water as possible about 2 1/2 litres a day and try some peppermint oil or peppermint cordial mixed with water for your wind I found this a godsend.

Hope this helps.

Linnij X
Unread 10-04-2004, 07:23 AM

Diane~
I would call my Dr! Let him/her decide what the wheezing is all about. And he/she can decide if you need a laxative as well.
I would just call this morning and let them know what is going on.

Nancy
Unread 10-04-2004, 08:17 AM

You should warm up some prune juice in the microwave for 30 seconds, it really works. About 8oz. will do the trick. It must be warm. We use this trick in the nursing home for our pts.
Kim
Unread 10-04-2004, 02:22 PM

I am 5 weeks, post op and I have been wheezing also. I figured it was my allergies cause it just started happening about a week ago. I have been going for walk every day, but I have a hard time catching my breath sometimes. I still use the breathing tube hoping that would help. Now I'm wondering if I should let my Dr. know. I am scheduled to go back to work in 2 weeks. Does anyone think it's allergies or something else. I have also been sneezing alot, but taking allergy pills.
Unread 10-04-2004, 05:30 PM

Being the Mom of 3 asthmatics I can tell you from NUMEROUS doctors' opinions that wheezing is NEVER a good thing and should always be checked out, especially after surgery. Please take care of yourself. It only takes a minute for the doctor to listen to your lung function.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.