HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bowel Movement after hysterectomy Bowel Movement after hysterectomy

Unread 10-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Bowel Movement after hysterectomy

Please give me your ideas on how you moved your bowels. Gyno told me to drink half a bottle of magnesium citrate and I would go. I am scared for pain... She also gave me a prescription (fiber stuff) to put in a drink and that should help as well. Again, afraid of the pain. Also, told me I could take an emema.... So many decisions....

Diane
Unread 10-04-2004, 01:49 PM

Hi Diane,

Welcome home and to the puzzling things that come afterwards! You'll be fine I'm sure. Do take whatever the doc says but what also really helped me was drinking plenty of (yuck) prune juice. I started drinking that while in the hospital and carefully started "going" while I was in there. I was able to stay, for four days so had plenty of time to work those bowels! It was a vacation for me being there were 9 kids clamoring for me at home. (Didn't give birth to them all!)

Debbie
Unread 10-04-2004, 01:57 PM

The only thing that ever works for me is to chug prune juice or eat dried prunes. Sounds gross, but it worked!
Unread 10-04-2004, 03:15 PM

Diane,
I have had a terrible time with my bowels since my surgery. I have a new appreciation for our senior citizens who get all uptight when they can't go! LOL I would recommend an over the counter stool softner like colace. You can take it once or twice a day. Mag. Citrate is pretty harsh, stool softners are much easier on the bowel itself. Also, high fiber cereal (bran) helps too. If you can keep things soft in there, it won't hurt at all.
Good Luck!
Unread 10-04-2004, 05:03 PM

My dr. told me that a mild laxative would be fine it I was having problems. Of course, I was, so I did take them and withing a few hours the plumbing started working again. I have been more regular since my surgery then I have been in I don't know how long. Here in NY it is cider season, so since I love it, the plumbing will be working really well. Good luck to you.
Unread 10-04-2004, 05:43 PM

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and it works like magic! Also warm seena tea is gentle and very effective.
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:36 PM

I finally had to use a suppository to be able to leave the hospital. they wouldn't let me go until my bowels moved. Also mentioned to my doctor how I suffer from constipation no matter what I do and he said for me to take colace. I asked if it was safe to take every day and he said he does. I haven't not had any where near the constipation problems since.
Unread 10-04-2004, 07:52 PM

Hi Diane, my name Is Debi and I have been having the same troubles as you. I talked to alot of pharmacists for some ideas and after 1 month of trying stuff, here is what I found to be the absolute best.
I don't drink coffee so I mixed about 1/2 cup of strong coffee with a good 1/2 cup of warm milk add some sweet flavoring like hazlenut or something and then top it up with hot water if needed. I guess it is kinda like a homemade latteLet me tell you within 1/2 to an hour all is moving.
Once or twice in the beginning when I was really seriously bunged up I went and bought a little magic called microlax it is little tiny tubes of some kinda mixture that unfortunatley goes in like an enema from the bottom, but is just a tiny little tube of about a tablespoon of jelly. and within 20 minutes you are free of any blockage. It was the absolute best for the worst constepation I have ever had.
Let me know how you make out

Debi
Unread 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM

I've been using benefiber in the morning and at night. You can't taste it at all. I mix it with my oatmeal in the morning and hot tea at night. It helps a lot.
It's more uncomfortable to have it build up, bit of relief to get rid of it!
Good luck!
Unread 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM

My pharmacist suggested an over the counter stool softener with all natural ingredients after my last surgery, and it worked for this one too. That and 8 - 10 glasses of water a day. Sometimes I swear I'm going to float. That first week was the WORST. Now into week two, I am seeing some major improvements!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.