HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

rectocele after hysterectomy? rectocele after hysterectomy?

Unread 10-05-2004, 04:21 PM
rectocele after hysterectomy?

Hi,
I am about 3 weeks post-op and when I was using the self-cath a couple of days ago (which I don't do any more as of yesterday, yeah) I noticed some round-looking tissue in my vaginal opening. GROSS!!
As it turns out I have a rectocele, which is a hernia of the rectum that can happen after surgery or as a result of weakness or having babies vaginally.
Anyway I am heartsick because this surgery was supposed to fix things and now I have another problem that may need surgery down the road. I know I needed my surgery but I am upset. Both GYN and UR say not to worry, that this can happen but of course no one is saying or can say when it happened.
I think it was not there before surgery because you can't miss it. Darn. I am just so disappointed. I guess the absence of some of the structures I used to have has caused it because I had a lot of prolapse. I have not been doing heavy lifting, I am sure of that.
I am being urged to just keep walking, recovering and not worrying about it...but I am afraid it will interfere with sex life and things will be painful as before, one of the reasons I opted to have this surgery. I also am upset because I just went through a major surgery and did not expect this to happen.
Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks, LCP
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:30 AM

Hi LCP

I too had the same result you have. I had a tah in may due mainly to a prolapsed uterus and heavy bleeding. I noticed my rectocele about the same time as you, and when checked, my gyn also said "lets wait and see how things go, but go back to life as normal" I did just that, and also returned to the gym at about 3 months post-op to do mainly cardio but also some really light weights. Well that was my undoing, I now have a rectocele too and will be returning for more surgery. I just cried and cried in his office, I thought this whole ordeal was over. apparently the bladder lift he did has fallen, they never really say why, but I think its mainly due to the fact I have a really week pelvic floor( hence the reason why the uterus dropped in the beginning) I asked for a few months to get it together prior to surgery to drop about 20 lbs and to due some physio on the pelvic floor . According to him this will increase my chances of this not happening again.

I hope this helped a bit!
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:39 AM

Oh My God, I am having the exact same thing happening to me. I thought it was bladder NEVER thinking it was the rectum. I had surgery on 9-20 and in pre-op asked doc about bladder sling and she said not to worry that it may not even drop. Well after a little extra walk on Friday, I went to the bathroom and out pushed a good size "apple" shape, I freaked..........needless to say didn't sleep a wink which then made it worse all weekend. Since I had my 2wk appt on Monday morning I waited to see my doc. If something was to be done to fix it I wanted it then while I was recovering, but she said she would'nt touch anything until I was recovered from the TAH first. I understand your frustration, I had myself had the biggest "pity party" and regretted my decision to have the hyst done even and stayed away from this site, I was just so upset. But something made me return and found you keep me posted, I go back on the 18th for a 4 week check-up and we'll see. No body ever said anything about this when we were having those babies!!!!!!!!!!!

meg
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:24 AM
thank you!!!!!

Hi,
Thanks so very much to both of you who have replied to my post. I told my best friend that getting this rectocele was like buying a new car and the very next day, it gets a big dent in it and you have to live with it anyway!! So I have been very disappointed.

Anyway, I am trying to lose 20 lbs and going to do my best to just get better and maybe things will work out for the best. My doc will see me at the 6 wk checkup and while no one has mentioned surgery, I realize that may have to happen. Just makes me wonder, what next????? Our bodies are pretty adapable despite such weird happenings. I don't think my bladder sling has dropped; I think another area did when my uterus was taken. It was holding up my bladder and probably everything else, too!

I am so very sorry this happened to you guys, too. I know exactly how disappointed you are too. I guess the muscles are weak, and when one thing moves it is like a domino effect. Oh well. What can you do? It was such a shock. One of those risks they don't tell you about!

Please, please do keep me posted as to how this is going for you. I will pray that things get better for all of us! I am just having a hard time getting past the disappointment, but I will just keep on going...I haven't even mentioned it to my hubby because I want to see if it affects our love life first. I know that doesn't make sense but he would not know what I was talking about and probably doesn't want to know as long as everything's OK! ha.
Love, LCP
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:31 PM

I too have noticed the same thing happening. I have to manually finish bowel movements most of the time by inserting a finger vaginally. It's driving me crazy. I am almost 7 months post-op and haven't called doctor. I probably should but I really don't want to have surgery again either. I've just been making sure I do keigels and eat a lot of fruits & vegetables. I've been doing keigels since 6 week post-op. I would have thought that would have prevented a rectocele.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.