HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

post hyst sexual positions? post hyst sexual positions?

Unread 10-06-2004, 04:45 AM
post hyst sexual positions?

Sorry if I break the rules (again) I don't mean to.

I would grealy appreciate some advice on what positions are safe for sex? The ones that will do the less damage while I'm still healing?

I'm 20 weeks post op and had sex twice in the past week (slight blood loss the first time) after being given the go-ahead by the gyny - darn granulation, going back this Friday for another check-up. Of course sex hurts which is maybe the stretching of the vag cuff?

The gyny hasn't given me any exercises or advice at all so I would greatly appreciate help!!!!

I'm very worried about sex but I think it's like when I broke my ankle last year. Use it or lose it?

This site has been a tremendous support and encouragement to me - thank u sisters : )
Unread 10-06-2004, 05:01 AM

Well, it is easy to give some basic suggestions without getting to graphic

one position that I've seen suggested many many times is simply you being on top so that you can control insertion.

You may find being on your side gives you more control too.

The important thing is that you feel as relaxed and calm (in the sense of not worried!) as possible. You may find that even if you are producing lubrication yourself, it might help to have some extra help on hand - Astroglide and Ky gel are both suggeted often, and the KY warming gel seems to be a big hit.

if you are still having granulation problems,then you are bound to have some discomfort. Take it slowly and acknowledge before hand that you might not get as far as you'd both like to at first.
Unread 10-06-2004, 05:04 AM

Good morning

Nice to see that I am not the only May princess still having problems. I don't really know which positions are best. Each of us had different issues. I continue to have abdominal pain and can't stand any pressure on top of my abdoman.So that position is out, doesn't leave much else. I had a laproscopic 2 weeks ago. My gyn thought I had adhesions so he sent me to a pain surgeon. He thought the same thing and also found out by ultrasound that I had a bad gallbladder, which could be causing some of the abdominal pain. I ended up with no adhesions in lower abdoman, but he did see lots of scar tissue which is probably causing me the pain. There is nothing he can do for it either. He went ahead and took out my gallbladder, which was to be my next surgery. It was very inflamed and had adhesions all over it.
I have still has some depression going on, so this doesn't help with the intimacy either. We gave it a try lastnight, but it hurt. I actually had a little bleeding and it is 5 months out. I don't get it. I never had any bleeding before this.
I guess we just have to experiment and see what works for us.

I hope things get better for you soon.
Peggy
Unread 10-07-2004, 06:09 AM
: )

Thank you CAS29 and mtdewpeg : )

I was afraid to use that warming gel in case it felt too warm, thank you for saying others have found it ok.

mtdewpeg I'm pleased u r here with me, as it's great to not be the only one having problems.

I'm praying the gyny will say my granulation is healed tomorrow ahhh that would be sooo good.

Now I can get nervous about going tomorrow, darn.

I will pray for u both + me + the other lovely sisters here huuuuuugs
Unread 10-07-2004, 06:40 AM
troubles with the intimacy part

Well my surgery was later than yours, but I am still having troubles in that area. I had a rectocele repair also, and that is the area that my gyn told me had pulled in on itself and the space is small. He said it would stretch out with intimacy, it might hurt the first few times, but it would be ok.

Well, it has hurt, and more than the first few times. But it has hurt less each time. Then we didn't have relations for about a week, and it was more uncomfortable again. So I am starting to think it is a "use it or lose it" proposition here. Yikes! I can tell you that is what I think about that!

The position that hurts the least is the woman on the top-you are in control that way and also it isn't as scary. I am always trying to protect my abdomen and worried that it will get hurt, so that helps that too.

I know these things are difficult to talk about on a public forum, however they are important to our lives, our relationships, and our healing. And that is very difficult information to get from our friends or co-workers! And my gyn at least seems to think it will all get better with time.

I did see a post here not too long ago by a Hystersister that says sex got great at 1 year and 3 months post op. So I am going to be patient, and keep trying. I have a year to go! What choice do I have?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway