HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Endometrial Cancer Grade 1 Recurrence Endometrial Cancer Grade 1 Recurrence

Unread 10-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Endometrial Cancer Grade 1 Recurrence

I was diagnosed with Grade 1 Stage 1 Endometrial Cancer in May of this year. The diagnosis was made after surgery. It had not invaded the myometrium at all. I was just wondering if anyone has had a recurrence with the same diagnosis as mine, and if so, what treatment did you receive? I think I have a 2-5% chance of recurrence, from what I'm reading on the Internet.

Susan
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:24 PM

Although my cancer was different and a higher grade, I cant help you too much on the recurrence part.

I just thought I would bump your post up so that some of the gals that had endometrial cancer would be able to help you.

I do believe that there are several on her that are anywhere from 2 to 5 years out without a recurrence. I hope that helps.

God Bless and enjoy your dance with NED
Unread 10-07-2004, 03:36 PM

I had a stage 1a grade 2 endometrial ca. The tumor was encapsulated and had not invaded the wall of the uterus at all. It was also high up in the uterus which my onc/gyn said was all excellent.... I am two years post op and feel pretty good other than the hot flashes.....
I havent heard of anyone with our stage and grades of endo ca having a recurrence....I keep praying and knocking on wood.
I two friends that shared with me that their mothers had this same thing some 25-30 years ago, had surgery, no further treatment and are fine today.....and I am sure the level of care and testing was not as thorough as it is today....
How are you doing with the meno symptoms?
Unread 10-07-2004, 04:16 PM

Susan, My diagnosis was the same as yours and I had no treatment. It has been 5 years this month and I'm doing great! You should have no problems.
Unread 10-07-2004, 08:15 PM

I have done research on this as well, and asked specifically this question to my gyn/onc this week. Statistics are 2-3% recurrence on Stage 1 enodmetrial CA. Following is what I have found and also what my doc said.

Recurrence of endometrial CA peaks at 2 yrs, then tails off in occurance to the 3rd yr where 80% of recurrences have declared themselves. The other 20% show up b/w 3 and 5 yr mark.

Recurrence occurs in two main places: the vaginal cuff or the lung. Screening is not done by chest x-rays for the lung because by the time you can see anything on x-ray it is no longer screening. The vaginal cuff recurrence is screened for by regular pap smears.

I don't know why it is, but waiting for my pap results this time is making me nervous. I guess that now I am far enough away from the shock and surgery and am thinking too much. Hope we all dance with NED forever. Judy
Unread 10-08-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks for your responses - it sounds very encouraging.

Chris5 - I'm glad to hear of your friends' mothers having this so long ago and doing well today. You asked about my menopause symptoms. I've been very lucky - hot flashes but very bearable. Looking forward to being warm in the winter for the first time! No vaginal dryness or insomnia. I'll be so glad when I'm two years out from surgery like yourself. It's all still new to me. On top of it all, my gynecologist has decided to leave her practice, leaving me to start all over again. Are you following up with an onc/gyne, or just your gyne?

Lollipop 11 - Congratulations on five years dancing with NED. What a good feeling that must be!

JUDYMK - Hoping you get a big NEGATIVE on your pap this time. Thanks for the good information from your doctor.
Unread 10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
decisions

I would appreciate any words of wisdom.

I was informed I have atypical hyperplasia of the endometrium. It is not the least problematic, and not the worst.

Due to a bleeding disorder (mild), a hysterectomy could be complicated.

Has anybody had knowledge of treatment outcomes with progesterone? I was told maybe 3 months of that would clear this.

With d and c, is repeat d and c considered completely ok if normal? I thought if I went on progesterone, and the repeat came back normal, I could still have cancer brewing....maybe it is there already and just wasn't scraped in the first d and c?
Unread 10-09-2004, 06:19 AM

JudyMK,

In response to your post, I certainly don't want to rain on your parade about the timing of endometrial cancer recurrences. However, I also don't want women to be left with the impression that no recurrences of endometrial cancer are possible beyond the five-year mark.

While you correctly state that the majority of recurrences of endometrial cancer occur within three years, I am looking at a resource provided to me by my radiation oncologist. It is a copy of "Follow-Up of Cancer: A Handbook For Physicians," Fourth Edition (David S. Fischer, Lippincott-Raven). A comment in the section setting forth a recommended follow-up schedule for women with a history of endometrial cancer states in part as follows:

"Most recurrences are within 3 years, but may appear 10 years after initial diagnosis."

I know of women with endometrial cancer have recurrences six or seven years out of treatment. This is important for women to know so that they continue to remain vigilent in getting their post-treatment follow-up, even beyond the five-year milestone.

Take care,

MoeKay
Unread 10-09-2004, 12:42 PM

I wanted to add one more thing to my above post. When you are talking about recurrence rates for stage 1 endometrial cancer, you need to know specifically whether you are talking about stage 1a, 1b, or 1c, as well as the grade and type of endometrial cancer. Also, you need to know whether any other risk factors were present. For example, did the tumor arise in the lower uterine segment, did pathology determine that there was lymph-vascular space involvement, among other things.

Assuming you're talking about the more common endometrial adenocarcinoma and not one of the rarer and more aggressive cell types, a stage 1a, grade 1, endometrial cancer--with no other risk factors--has a low chance of recurrence (probably less than 5%). However, a stage 1C, grade 3, would have a much higher risk of recurrence. My endometrial cancer, for example, was a stage 1C, grade 2, with several additional risk factors, and I had approximately a 30-35% chance of recurrence before radiation. The radiation I received reduced that risk of recurrence to 15-20%.

MoeKay
Unread 10-09-2004, 04:16 PM
regarding grades of cancer

Hello

You have replied to my message...but I think you were responding to another?

I have been told I have atypical hyperplasia which is not severe, but not simple. I don't have a cancer diagnosis.

What are the risk factors you are speaking of? And how are you doing? Did you have a hysterectomy?

Yasmina

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.