HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Why can't you drive for 2 weeks after Hyst.? Why can't you drive for 2 weeks after Hyst.?

Unread 10-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Why can't you drive for 2 weeks after Hyst.?

I am going to ask a dumb question... but why cant you drive for the first two weeks following your surgery? I don't understand the reasoning. I have heard that if you get in a wreck you could bleed more... but that is true if you are a passenger and are involved in a automobile accident. Sorry for my stupidity..... just curious!!! Thanks!!!!!!!
Unread 10-07-2004, 05:18 PM

I think it's because you may turn or twist to look around or make a turn and could hurt your belly. Plus the first couple weeks most of us are on some kind of pain killer and that doesn't mix with driving at all. I think the first couple weeks need to be spent in bed or the couch healing
Unread 10-07-2004, 05:35 PM

Hi,

As mentioned, there is a lot of twisting and turning involved with driving - you may not even realize how much until you try to drive the first time. In addition, trying to stomp on the brake hard can be very painful as well. Knowing that it will hurt to hit the brake may make you hesitant to do so in an emergency, and that could be dangerous.

In addition, because it takes several weeks for the anesthesia and pain meds to clear your system, your insurance company may not pay if you're involved in an accident.

I wasn't even comfortable riding in a car after my surgery for almost a month. Everytime the driver hit the brakes, I felt as though my innards were going to go flying out against the dashboard. Though I was cleared to drive at two weeks, it was almost a month before I was comfortable doing so.

s,

Lisa
Unread 10-07-2004, 05:36 PM

Hi
I think it is up to your Dr I know some sisters get released to drive earlier, I think a number of things factor in meds, amount of repair done etc.
Also know in Australia it depends on your insurance co. as to how soon you can drive after surgery as well.
I'm 4 weeks today and my Dr. has made me wait till today to drive so time does vary.

Wendygai
Unread 10-07-2004, 10:14 PM

I never thought of the insurance side of it. That is really something to think about. I feel blessed to not have any pain, therefore I do not have to take the Percocet my Dr prescribed for me. I am 10 days post-op and feel great and completely normal.... which is dangerous, because I forget that I just had major surgery and probably don't get the rest I need to heal. Thanks for all your info.

Tonya
Unread 10-08-2004, 12:26 AM

I had my LAVH on 9/24, and actually started driving six days later. I try to keep it to a minimum, as I have a clutch car, and after a while, my stomach starts to feel like I've done dozens and dozens of situps. Someone on the site suggested that you get in your car, and work all the peddles for five minutes. Then get out, and see how you feel. If you're going to be tired or sore - better at home in the driveway, then out on the road. Once you do start driving - keep the trips short for a few days (I only went a mile or so for the first few days) before taking a longer route.
Unread 10-08-2004, 05:49 AM

Here's another thought...What will you be doing when you get wherever you're going? That question was posed on this site and it made me think! Hmmmmmmmmm! I am admitting freely I wasn't the fastest "recoverer"! Wimpy is a good description! I know they said it would be a 6 week recovery...I just didn't believe anyone UNTIL i was in the midst of it!

I probably could have drove...but then to walk thru a store...get back in and drive home? Nah!

Enjoy the company of your friends and family and let them chauffeur you around like the princess you are!

However, congratulations on feeling so GOOD you want to be doing all these normal things! That's Great! Be good anyway!
Unread 10-08-2004, 06:12 AM

My doctor told me as long as I wasn't taking pain medicnes during the day and I felt comfortable being able to have to brake suddenly..well I drove a short distance at 1 week..but other than that I wasn't that comfortable in the car, even as a passenger. I felt nervous. At the 3 week point I was driving everywhere and not even thinking about it.
Unread 10-08-2004, 06:18 AM

If your DR tells you no driving for X number of days or weeks, I believe their reasoning is more that you will stay home and rest, and also it can hurt to turn your body to look behind you, etc. And if you had to step on the brakes hard you could bump the steering wheel.

About the insurance factor: I read my entire policy and I didn't find one word that said they would refuse to pay, so I also called my agent and asked this question and this was the answer he gave me:

Actually if you are driving your car and are involved in an accident that is your fault, your insurance has to pay, unless your policy has a clause that specifically states they don't pay in the event the damages were caused by the driver being under the influence. And that is under the influence of any substance, including alcohol and/or painkillers.

You could be ticketed or arrested for operating under the influence, and anyone you injured could sue you.
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:20 AM

I drove at 2 wks. Backing up was uncomfortable. I had my teenage kids back me out of the driveway(private dead end road). Other than backing up,all went well. Start slow. Go on a short trip close to home and see how it goes.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.