HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bad Gallbladder?  How Do You Know? Bad Gallbladder? How Do You Know?

Unread 10-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Bad Gallbladder? How Do You Know?

For those who have had gallbladder problems, what symptoms did you notice, if any?
Unread 10-07-2004, 08:15 PM

Hi,
I was having severe pain a couple of hours after eating, especially if I had a high fat meal. The worst attack came after eating at my fav fish & chips place. I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat with the worst pain in my chest. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. Since I had it out I have been fine. If you are having problems you should see your Dr. I hope this helps.
Sheri
Unread 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM

Hello
I had mine out 2 weeks ago. Boy, it really made me feel awful. I didn't know for months and months(before my hyst) that I was having mild gallbladder attacks. I had right shoulder pain and soreness under my right rib area. Sometimes I had mild chest pains. It even made my lower right side of my back hurt. Whenever I ate I felt nauseous. I couldn't stand to smell or even cook food. It got worst as time went on. I had lost 20 pounds before seeing my gyn. I thought it was from my uterus pushing on my stomach and making me nauseous. I have lost 30 some pounds since my hyst.
I went to a pain dr. for possible adhesions and he pinpointed my bad gallbladder. Gallstones showed up on a ultrasound. My chest started having more intense pains the week before I had the gallbladder removed.I was hospitalized a week before surgery, because I had became dehydrated from not being able to drink much and getting the runs.I feel better since getting it removed. The only problem from it is I now have the runs.

see your dr. if you are having these symptoms

Peggy
Unread 10-07-2004, 09:22 PM

I haven't been experiencing pain after eating, but usually when I try to lie down or get into the car. The pain does tend to radiate to the back a bit, too.

I read my hysterectomy surgical report, and it stated that the gallbladder was slightly distended with no evidence of gallstones. I just find this interesting because I'm having these pains on the right side, under my ribs. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling it a bit now, and I'm just sitting here. I think I'm going to call the doc anyway.
Unread 10-07-2004, 10:13 PM

A gallbladder attack is something you would not forget in this lifetime. I had mine out in 2001. But before that, I had attacks that would come on as a cold sweat, a feeling of heartburn, only it grew so severe I thought I was having a heart attack, the local hospital did not know what it was for 3 years (can you imagine?) So they gave me Demerol shots and sent me home all the time, the pain would radiate through from the chest to my back and there is no possible way to get comfortable, shortness of breath, shallow breathing even was painful, laying down or leaning back on the couch was not even an option, Just pacing the floor. After the pain would peak, I would throw up, sometimes a yellow bitter bile from the gallbladder, then the pain would go away. I lost over 30 pounds, and found, not just food set it off, but also the red coloring in Hawaiian Punch as well.
Finally I was sent from my GI Doctor to a General Surgeon, she did some tests and investigating and told me the next time I ended up in the ER to DEMAND a chest X-Ray immediatly and blood work, in the blood the (AMYLACE) will be high during an attack. But seconds after the attack is over the blood goes back to normal, that is why they didn't find anything on me, When an attack hit, I was too sick to get in the car to go to the ER and have Panic Attacks, so an ambulance was out of the question for me.
After the surgery, I found mine was severly infected, large stones, fibrosis, etc.
I have heard that HRT causes 85% of gallbladder problems in women, mine was before that time though.
Always have ANY chest pain checked out, women have different symptoms than men do.
But the unmistakable chest pain from the rib cage radiating through to the back, especially the shoulder blades, seems to be one thing everyone with Gallblader problems have.
Ask your Doctor about a Gallbladder scan, mine showed a Non-Functioning gallbladder. And it is a very good test.
Terri
Unread 10-07-2004, 10:26 PM

Thanks, I think I'll definitely call my doctor and look into it. I just don't think it's related to my abdominal muscles healing, even though the symptoms are nowhere near as severe as those you ladies have mentioned.
Unread 10-08-2004, 01:43 AM

If your Doctor does do the Gallbladder Scan and it turns out possitive, it is highly possible for them to fix it, rather than remove it.
Diarrhea is a severe side effect of a removed gallbladder, however after 6 months mine went away, but I do hear of people writing into Surgical boards that have the problem for years.
So if the gallbladder is the problem, it is always best to try to fix it first. before it gets worse.
After 3 years of messing with this ignorant Hospital here, my symptoms had gotten so severe, I told my husband I needed to write my will, as I was sure I was going to die from an attack before they figured it out. That's how much pain I was in, and mine had gotten to where I was having several attacks a day and every night.
Just ask the Doctor to "Rule it out".
Thanks,
Terri
Unread 10-08-2004, 02:09 AM

I was in surgery to have adhesions seperated, but the surgeon didn't find any. He found a large amount of scar tissue, which is probably causing my discomfort. Since I was to have gallbladder surgery a month later he got permission from my DH to go ahead with the gallbladder surgery, since he was already in there. He had taken a look at it and saw it was very inflamed and had adhesions all over it. He already knew I had gallstones, because they showed up on the ultrasound a week earlier.My attacks had grown worst, so removal was my only option.
He had told me a few weeks earlier that it is very comman for woman who had had multipal c sections to suffer from gallbladder disease. I don't really understand why. I asked what the adhesions were from and he said it was from my gallbladder being so inflamed and diseased. I had no idea adhesions would form from that.

good luck on getting a accurate diagnoses.
Peggy
Unread 10-08-2004, 08:35 AM

Mtdewpeg,
You learn something new everyday, I also had 3 c-sections and never knew that.
As for the adhesions, they grow on raw tissue, and a severe inflammation would definatly qualify for that.
Terri
Unread 10-09-2004, 03:39 AM

Hi
I had my gall bladder out 2 years ago and like the other sisters say you really know about it when you have an attack! I thought I was having a heart attack and the worse the pain got I became really breathless( A Scary Experience) One thing To watch is if a gall stone becomes blocked in the duct it came easily become infected and if left untreated can even be fatal...Don't mean to scare but it is something you need to be aware of and also my Dr told me it was better to remove when you are not experiencing symptoms as there is less inflamation and less chance of problems.
Unfortunately when the symptoms aren't present people tend to just let it go
Hope this helps
Wendygai

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.