HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long should I wait to move my bowels the first time How long should I wait to move my bowels the first time

Unread 10-09-2004, 09:51 AM
How long should I wait to move my bowels the first time

I usually go every morning like clock work. On good days I even go twice. I had surgery Wednesday, I was eating solid foods by the next morning. I expected to go yesterday morning & then certainly this morning, everything I've eaten is high fiber. Should I try a suppository or give it another day. I've already had acouple stool softeners.
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:02 AM

Oh I remember that only too well. I had some problems also with going. I went and bought some ex-lax, lots of grapes, and drank a whole heck of a lot of water. It took about 4-5 days after surgery before I was able to go, and it was uncomfortable. I have read that some ladies have bought suppositories, upped their fiber, and always increased their water intake.

It will happen, your body still has quite a bit of anthesia (sp) which slows everything down, a long with pain pills. Pain pills for me backed me up.

Just remember to take it easy and rest, rest, rest.
Let us know how your doing!

'S

Tasha
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:04 AM

I had a TVH on 10/1 and as soon as I could, I was downing as much water as I could. I also ate high fiber foods. By Tuesday, nothing had happened but I could feel it right there. As I was concerned about straining, I wasn't pushing too hard. I also had been taking stool softners and had tried metamusil a couple times the day before. Nothing was working. So, I had my dad go get me some prune juice, drank a glass and two hours later, guess what? It works. I have drank a glass two other mornings and within 3 hours, it worked. I will worn you, f few times it worked too good. But I was really concerned about not straining and hurting myself. Hope this works. And the prune juice really wasn't that bad tasting.

Janelle
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:04 AM

You should try warm prune juice about 8oz. You don't want to wait to long because it will back up. When the stool softners didn't work trust me the WARM prune juice did. I hope it works for you.
Kim
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:07 AM

Don't wait too much longer. I was 5 days in the hospital and the night of my discharge the nurse had to give me an enema to get things going because it was bad and they definately don't want you to strain. I came home friday and by monday I had to call my DH at work to come home and give me another enema. I thought I was going to die. Since that day I have doubled my fluid intake, water and fruit juices, eating more fruit and veggies,even made some bran muffins, anything to keep me going regularly. Now I am going every morning and so far things are okay in that department. I am still taking 2 stool softeners every morning, all I know is I don't want to go back to that horrible day of constipation.

Good luck and keep drinking!
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:09 AM

it took about 5 days before i had a bowel movement, the ladies are right about the anethesia. i was on stool softners 2times a day and they didn't help, the prune juice does.
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:10 AM

Hi princessstacy,
Welcome home! It took me 5 days and quite a bit of effort at that. I had taken stool softeners everyday since the surgery and they alone weren't helping. I finally took a little Milk of Magnesia and it worked wonders. I really wanted the first one to be very loose and it was.
I was feeling pretty tough and my dr said that lots of times you do feel yucky until you get your bowels moving. I think if you are really gassy-I was- you might want to take some aggressive action to get them working. Just my thoughts. Good luck to you.

Blessings, Rita TVH with bladder sling and rectocele repair
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:18 AM

I did not move my bowels for 6 days after my surgery. Don't worry about it, it will happen. Try to drinks lots of water, apple cider, eat fresh fruit. My doctor told me I could take an enema, or drink half bottle of magnesium citrate. I did neither as I went on my own. My gyno gave me a prescription for Glycolax. It is fiber you put in with orange juice. It is tasteless and you would never know it was in with the OJ. It works wonderfully...
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:27 AM

Oddly enough, drinking water doesn't do anything for bowel movements, contrary to what people believe. You don't need to drink LOTS of water; you just need to drink fluids (any will do) to stay well hydrated. And if you are blocked up, it doesn't do any good to add stuff to the top of the heap, so to speak. Adding fiber, prune juice, etc., can make the problem much worse and that is much more likely to cause other digestive woes, like very painful gas.

As for taking a couple stool softeners, my discharge orders had me taking stool softeners every day for 30 days, not just occasionally. The only thing stool softeners do is help the colon to make the fecal matter softer by absorbing more fluid stored in the colon; they do nothing at all to help produce a bowel movement.

It can take several days for your body to restore the entire digestive process. For me, that was about 3 or 4 days. I didn't do anything to help it along; it just happened. If you are uncomfortable or feel that you cannot have a bowel movement without some kind of intervention, call your doctor and ask for help. Don't try to self-medicate this away...if you end up with diarhhea, that can rob your body of vital eletrolytes and that can cause all sorts of trouble.
Unread 10-09-2004, 12:47 PM

The rule of thumb in healthcare is 3 days. Especially if you've been eating and going daily before, don't wait more than that.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.