HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How big do fibroids have to be to cause symptoms? How big do fibroids have to be to cause symptoms?

Unread 10-10-2004, 06:02 PM
How big do fibroids have to be to cause symptoms?

Hi there, I have been having right lower quadrant pain for the past 4 months on a daily basis, and sometimes the pain is debilitating. Before that, I was having pain sporadically. I have had almost every test imaginable except an MRI. I had my gallbladder removed at the end of May, and at that time, my ob/gyn did a pelvic diagnostic lap to see if he could find anything, but he could not (was kind of thinking perhaps endometriosis). All my tests are normal except my latest CT scan which showed a possible uterine fibroid. A transvaginal ultrasound confirmed two fibroids on the right side of my uterus, each measuring about 1.5 cm. According to the drs. I have seen, these are so small that they should not be what is causing my pain. I'm about at the end of the line for trying to get help for this pain. I even went to Mayo Clinic, which was a complete joke. I am now back at my local clinic trying to get help. Could fibroids of this size be causing my pain? Thanks!
Unread 10-10-2004, 06:10 PM
I dont know abc

Abcsoup:
I to have dealt with fibroids but mine were much larger than yours, as it turns out mine were also cancer. but I experienced some pain(mild to moderate) when my fibriods were small, although the lady who preformed the transvaginal ultrasound said that my doc doesnt operate on anthing smaller in size than a 5cm. I found as my fibroid grew in size the pain lessened, until it was non existent. But everyones experiences are different, and everyones pain tolerance is different as well, but if you are in pain, continue on your qwest to find the answers and I wish you luck and good health.
Snickers
Unread 10-10-2004, 08:56 PM

My ultra-sounds did not real reveal all of my fibroids, and I've read several posts from others whose ultra sounds did not tell the whole story.

Perhaps you have another fibroid that didn't show up that is causing your problems.

I have also read that if your fibroid is growing on a stalk the stalk can get twisted and cause a lot of pain.

I hope they are able to diagnose your problem soon!
Unread 10-10-2004, 09:28 PM

I have no idea how big something has to be to cause pain. I think the bigger issue with fibroids is position - what they may be pressing on. But 1.5 cm does sound pretty small. My fibroids were pretty big (certainly not the biggest on this site) but never caused me any pain, it was more discomfort from things pushing on each other.

If they are the problem, what would the solution be? A myomectomy? I would say go for a full pelvic/abdominal MRI before any sort of surgery.

I agree that it could be one of those "stalk" fibroids, which can be very painful, but wouldn't the doctor have seen that with the lap procedure?

Have you also seen a gastroenterologist to rule out any bowel issues? Conditions like diverticulitis can present those sorts symptoms (though usually with an elevated white blood cell count). I'm guessing you have if they took out your gall bladder already.

Take care.
Unread 10-11-2004, 02:42 PM

I only had one fibroid - about the size of yours, but it caused me to bleed 2-3 weeks a month and after sex. I was having pain with the bleeding and the doctor found endometriois on my right ovary. My doctor said that was were all my pain was coming from.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.