HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

TVT Success Rate TVT Success Rate

Unread 10-13-2004, 02:49 AM
TVT Success Rate

Does anyone know what the success rate is for TVT bladder repair?

I'm having a hysterectomy with one ovary removed. Surgery has been postponed due to tachycardia. Currently in the process of getting surgical approval.

I've had bladder problems for almost all of my life. Urgency for as long as I can remember, stress since I delivered my first son almost 19 years ago.

The bladder problems have been an annoyance and something I figured I'd take care of at the same time as the hyst. I'm just concerned however, since I see quite a few posts saying that some ladies have had more than one surgery and they are still having problems.

I'd like to have the problem fixed, but if it's not going to help, make the problem worse or put me at risk for subsequent surgeries, I might reconsider. I have an appointment with my uro on Friday, but I'd just like to get some input from ladies who've been through it! Thanks!

PS - I'm having a urodynamics test Friday and I'm freaking. The whole thing sounds real icky.
Unread 10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
TVT Success Rate

Hi ((FLlady)),
I am sorry to hear of your all the symptoms & problems you have been experiencing I do pray your upcoming surgery can provide you with some much needed resolve from them

I have no personal experience with the TVT but I did find a link in our Resources Directory that discusses the benefits & drawbacks of it...perhaps it can hold some additional insight into your concern/question:

Short term data show benefits, drawbacks of TVT:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=jump&lid=1239

Hopefully there are others here who will come along shortly and share their outcomes & any info as well

Good Luck! I do hope you will keep us posted on your progress....many (((hugs))) to you on Fri with your tests...
Unread 10-13-2004, 09:11 PM
TVT Success Rate

there are other bladder/urethral sling procedures available other than the TVT, that have higher success rates and lower complication rates. you really need to discuss ALL of the options with your surgeon (preferrably either a urologist who specializes in womens issues or a urogyn).
as far as the urodynamics test goes, its not a big deal. a bit embarassing if youre at all modest but totally painless. just a quick pinch when the urinary catheter is being placed (unless your dr uses the lidocaine numbing gel).
stay well, get all your info, and dont fret.
diana
Unread 10-13-2004, 09:16 PM
TVT Success Rate

Hello!

As dg2901 mentioned, there are other alternatives. My personal situation with TVT sling wasn't that great. I didn't notice any real improvement, but I'm sure it's different for each individual. I ultimately had a sling procedure 12 months later with great success.

The urodynamics procedure really is a simple procedure. I've had it done three times and it's more awkward than anything, but not painful.

Best of luck to you! Please post and let me know of your progress.
Unread 10-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Post Op Tvt

Hi There! Iam post op 3 weeks from Tvt Operation! Seems to me it worked! Iam still crampy, but that is probably just me! you aren't suppose to bend for 6 weeks or do any heavy(light bag groceries, milk)lifting, my Dr. said would be too heavy! From what I've looked up and been told it's 85-95% effective! Good luck! I'll keep you in my thoughts!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.