HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Having a problem, suffer from IBS Having a problem, suffer from IBS

Unread 10-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Having a problem, suffer from IBS

Dear ladies,
I have a different problem. I have suffered from IBS for almost 2 years since I had my gall bladder out. I suffer the big "D" type. And yes, my first BMs due to the pain meds were a bit difficult, but then it hit day 2 home because of the juice and diet in the hospital and I have had constant diarrhea.
I take Questron daily in koolaid, but it is not enough due to the colon spasms. I am averaging 3 to 4 Imodium pills a day. I am on my low fat diet and what worked for me before but the spasms from the surgery are so frustrating.
This of course causes many issues with leaving my home for a walk. I am 11 days post op and ready to go outside and walk farther. I didn't leave the house because of this issue and my 18 yr son had his gall bladder out 3 days ago and needed some care, drinks and stuff like that. So I have been moving inside my small ranch home.
I realize this is completely different than most suffer. But there must be a few of us IBS sufferers that have post op complications like this. How long does it take for the colon to recover from the surgery?
Thanks,
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:16 AM

Hi Mary Kay,
I dont know if this will help but I have a drug called Buscopan. I hope you can get it where you are. It works for me, maybe you just need a bit of a med change. And in some ways I envy you the diarrhea thing, I have switched back to the constipation side of things, and it hurts. I am getting concerned about it and hoping that everything is still intact inside! I would way rather be running, than sitting and straining!! Take care, it does get more back to normal....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:21 AM

Mary Kay,

Your post got my attention because I am a fellow IBS sufferer. We can look back and see IBS symptoms when i was 4-5 years old!

Surgery definitely throws the digestive track for a loop! In fact I'm now 3 months post op but for me every thing slloooooooowed down!!! I'm actually experiencing upper digestive problems for the first time EVER!

Now back to you....do you have a gastro dr that knows and understands you? Or has your GP been instrumental inhelping you with the IBS? I think it's a time to call in the pros! Surgery knocked my ability to handle the issues on my own right away!!! Believe me...I thought I could handle myself...I know my own body pretty well!

I understand taking the imodium...but that's really not a great idea for any length of time. I didn't notice if you were in the states or not.... There is an old fashioned tonic made in North Baltimore Ohio! It's called "Burgoon's Cordial" I was introduced to it by my mil back 20 years ago. Nothingg dangerous but boy does it settle an unhappy bowel with no side effects. I keep the bottle with me at all timeS! Every purse I own has to be able to hold Burgoons! This and an anti spasmodic for really bad times has often given me relief. Also do you drink peppermint tea? That is supposed to help sooth the lining of the guts!!! (as long as your stomach can handle it)

Honey you have my empathy....call in the Dr's and do allyou can to help yourself out! You need to heal from surgery and not fight all the other battles too!!!!
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Dear Mary Kay,
I have a daughter who suffers from IBS the D kind and i know what you are going through it is hard to leave the house and so draining. It seems like everyone responds differently to treatments. We found the most relief from things we found in the health food stores.
I am sorry I don't really know about how long it takes for the colon to adjust after surgery. I know if it were my daugter I would tell her to get to the doctor. If you let the diarrhea go unchecked it will really drain you and affect your recovery.
My daughter practically lives on Imodium some days too, but in the beginning her poor system is still really drained because it takes some time to stop.
Please see you doctor if this keeps up. I do sympathize. Wish I could be of more help.

Blessings, Rita
Unread 10-16-2004, 10:51 AM

I just wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts!! I have been an IBS sufferer for years. Up until about 4 months ago, I was always IBS-D, now I have turned and gone the other way to IBS-C, this is even after my gallbladder was removed in July 2004. Funny thing is, I think the constipation is actually worse, although I know when you are in the throughs of a bad IBS-D outbreak, it seems like nothing would be better than to just be normal. Anyway, I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and that the diarrhea slows down!!

Take Care,
Leigh
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:45 AM

I'm an IBS C type of person. I was fine if I took my senecot post op. I am also lactose intolerant and post op thought I could start drinking lactaid milk. Big mistake. I noticed right away that I was back on the cramping, constipation and gas cycle. I'm back to soy milk now and not having a problem.

My dad had part of his colong removed for cancer, and has had bouts of d ever since. He finds that if he drinks metamucil every day, he doesn't have d. My uncle was the same way and also had colon cancer. He does the same thing. His Dr. also mentioned the lactose intolerance thing.
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:45 AM

I'm an IBS C type of person. I was fine if I took my senecot post op. I am also lactose intolerant and post op thought I could start drinking lactaid milk. Big mistake. I noticed right away that I was back on the cramping, constipation and gas cycle. I'm back to soy milk now and not having a problem.

My dad had part of his colong removed for cancer, and has had bouts of d ever since. He finds that if he drinks metamucil every day, he doesn't have d. My uncle was the same way and also had colon cancer. He does the same thing. His Dr. also mentioned the lactose intolerance thing.
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:48 PM
hello there ! :)

Hi ! I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but I wanted to send you my support and greetings . I hope your son will be better soon .It's possible you might find the info you need on the search system here or in general on the net . Good luck and take care . Cheers )
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Things are a bit better

Thank you for all the advice so far. I am also lactose intollerant, and have not touched anyting that was not in my diet before this surgery. Total low fat 20 grams a day, no milk, no greans and very limited fruits and veg. I have had my 8 glasses of water and limited tea and coffee.
I found my anti spasm drug I didn't need the last 8-10 mos, and will take that til Monday when I can call the Gastr dr. It will help, and I know I can take it now, I called my friend who is a physicians asst.
Seems that any invasion on our abdomens causes such terrible hassles and adjustments. Good luck to all.

Thanks.
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:53 PM

It sounds like you're having a tough time.

I also have the D type of IBS and found that I had quite a bit of trouble starting about three days after surgery until about the 3 week mark. I believe the flare up was caused by the antibiotics. I took some probiotics for a while and ate lots of yogurt (mostly because it was easy to tolerate). I know that I have food sensitivities (oatmeal, figs, some nuts, red meat, lard) which were even worse during recovery. I made the mistake of having some cereal that just had oatmeal as an ingredient and I was really hating myself for days.

Keep up on the fluids and try to find a balance with the foods that you tolerate best (I know that can make for a boring diet). I have a lot of trouble with really high fiber foods and too much fruit, so do what works best for you.

You might want to supplement your diet with some very basic vitamins for a while in case you're missing out on some essential nutrients from electrolyte loss.

Take care.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.