HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

light meal day before surgery light meal day before surgery

Unread 10-17-2004, 10:56 PM
light meal day before surgery

I am going to have a light meal the day before surgery. I was going to have a turkey sandwich, with lettuce, tomatoes and mayonaisse on white bread. My sister tells me this is too heavy to eat. I could eat it in the afternoon that would be ok, I was planning eating between 4 and 5 pm. She said that if I ate that late I should have eggs and toast. I do not like eggs. My surgery is scheduled for 11:45 am on Tuesday. My doctor said nothing to eat after midnight. Does anyone else think this meal is too heavy to have to day before? If it is what would be considered a light meal? This is the only thing I am nervous about. I don't want to eat the wrong things before surgery.

Linda
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:38 PM

Linda,

I don't see anything wrong with that. That sounds light to me, especially since you're eating between 4 and 5p.m.

Enjoy your sandwich

s
Cat
Unread 10-18-2004, 05:55 AM

Unless your DR gave you specific dietary instructions, you can eat whatever you want the day before surgery. For my "last" meal I had a pepperoni pizza at 6PM. Surgery was early afternoon the next day. I didn't have any problems before, during or after surgery.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:58 AM

Just wondering if you ladies were ordered a bowel prep. the night before surgery. I went for my pre-op appt. and my doc. says I don't need one. He said "just don't eat a steak dinner the night before" lol.
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:08 AM

Shark,
I think bowel preps are more common before abdominal surgeries (and more complicated procedures), than for vaginal surgeries. At least my doctor didn't say anything about doing a bowel prep, and the pre-op instructions didn't mention it. I'm glad I avoided that. . . . That turkey sandwich sounds fine to me.

Barbara
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:10 AM
no bowel prep for me

Shark1962,
My doctor ordered two "runs" with Milk of Magnesia Wednesday before surgery on Friday. Then, because I'm diabetic, she's having me eat "light" on Thursday with nothing after midnight. My surgery is scheduled for 7:30am Friday, October 22. I'm glad this subject is on the board right now...I've been wondering about this, too. Good luck to you!

Miki
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:16 AM

What do they consider "light" I know I wont have a problem eating light the day before. When I get nervous I cant eat.
I love these smiles!!!
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:33 AM

I am having a TAH/BSO. All the doctor told me was not to eat anything after midnight, take my thyroid pill in the morning with a tiny sip of water. My son is a paramedic and he said a light meal would be better,and a turkey sandwich is alright to have. My sister said only eggs and toast and not have anything else that night and to eat before 6pm. I was planning on eating around 5pm and have some jello if I get hungry before midnight.
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:08 AM
LIGHT MEAL BEFORE SURGERY

HELLO.
I AM HAVAING A TVH/WWITH BSO ON THURSDAY OCT. 21. MY DOCTOR DIDNT SAY ANYTHING TO ME ABOUT A BOWEL PREP.CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS? I HAVE IBS ALSO AND USUALLY WHEN I GET NERVOUS I USUALLY HAVE LOTS OF BOWEL MOVEMENTS. SO I AM SURE I WILL HAVE A GGOD (IF NOT RUNNING) BOWEL MOVEMENT THURSDAY MORNING. I USUALLY HAVE TO TAKE SOMETHING TO GET MY STOMACH CALM DOWN. SO SINCE I WONT BE ABLE TO TAKE ANYTHING THURSDAY MORNING I AM SURE I WONT NEED A BOWEL PREP.
Unread 10-18-2004, 10:17 AM

Fuzzy: It's better to have food in your system than not, and since your DR didn't order a limited diet for the day before, don't worry about eating the wrong thing, and if you don't like eggs, then don't eat them! The turkey sandwich sounds fine to me, and the jello in the evening if you get hungry. Also don't forget to drink water the day and evening before surgery, that helps keep you from being dehydrated.

NMOUSE: if your DR didn't tell you to do a bowel prep don't worry about it, and even more important - don't do it without specific instructions from your DR.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.