HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Alcohol after op? Alcohol after op?

Unread 10-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Alcohol after op?

Haven't seen anything about this on the forums - how soon after a hyst is it ok to drink alcohol again? I am planning on stopping it two weeks before but what about after? I think I will be feeling like breaking out the bubbly to celebrate once it is all over!

Is it something that can't be combined with the pain meds or the anaesthesia that is still in your system? It won't worry me to wait if I have to but I would just like to know in case I feel like one. Anyone been given advice by their doctor?
Unread 10-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Alcohol after op?

You are right -- alcohol is something you don't want to be mixing with your pain meds!!!!

You want to give yourself a bit of time to get all the meds out of your system from surgery. You can ask your dr about it for sure, but my "guess" would be that by 2weeks as long as you are not on pain meds you should be fine.

let us know what you find out from the dr!
Unread 10-18-2004, 04:49 AM
Alcohol after op?

Hey Crazy Artist

You sure are getting organised asking questions like this!

We could order alcohol at our hospital - very civilised glass of red white or beer with our evening meal. Drat, the one day I was able to order it I left that morning.

I didnt check with the DR, but it depends on your medication - so check the label before drinking. I was off painkillers by Day 5, so thats when I had a glass or three!
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Alcohol after op?

Really? Alcohol in the hospital? lol . I think I will move "down under". By the way, I loved this question. It shows a positive attitude about recovery and starting to celebrate. You did bring up a point that I never thought about. Do you have to stop drinking 2 weeks before surgery. I never heard that one before. I have been told to stop all meds. (tylenol, ibuprofen, etc. 2 wks before).
otion:
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Alcohol after op?

Hi Crazy Artist!

I, too, asked about this before my surgery (three weeks ago today- TAH LSO). My doc said, "Well, at least wait until you go home from the hopsital!" Funny man! (In Canada alcohol isn't on the hospital menu!)

In fact, the printed post-op information booklet that the nurses in my hospital gave me said, "A glass of alcohol can be comforting." Well, it certainly is and in a sensible amount (one glass of wine) had no detrimental effects combined with Tylenol #3 (30 mg of codiene) for pain.

As an aside, the anaesthetist didn't give any specific pre-op directions and I do think that wine is a clear fluid so I had a glass of wine (only one) the day before my surgery. My DH is a doc himself and said OK but I'd check -- it might depend on the kind of anaesthetic medication you'll be receiving.

Good luck!
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Alcohol after op?

Quote:
Drinking alcohol after surgery is strongly discouraged, especially while you are taking pain medications.

Taken from University of Chicago Hospitals discharge instructions. Please check with your doctor before drinking alcoholic beverages.
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Alcohol after op?

More good to know stuff.Its like on here..I think of another question..then I read on and answers are all there!How wonerfull this site is!!!Many thanks to whom ever started this.I had a huge 40th to go to this last saturday.I had a few cocktails to celebrate my girlfriends 40th.I was wondering if I should..NOT..have a glass of wine tonight or tomorrow.My date for surgery is the 21st..3 days away.I too also thought a glass of wine after I am on the way to recovery might help to relax me.I guess after my pain meds are finnished I can have a few in the evening???Anymore advise on this????
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Alcohol after op?

Hi-
I stopped drinking alcohol a week before my surgery date because the doc said it would help out the anesthesia.

I didn't take any pain meds when I came home, never had any pain, so I started drinking again (a glass or two of red wine) after 2 weeks of being post op. It relaxes me at night before bed

Hope this helps!
Cheryl
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Alcohol after op?

This is just something else to think about. I went to a family get together 11 days post op. Had a glass of wine (port). I don't usually drink "real wine", I usually drink wine coolers or Arbor Mist. Anyway, I got a migraine within 2 hours of drinking the 1 glass. I guess port wine (the real dark purple) is a trigger for some people. I hope migraines aren't a problem for you, but that was a learning experience for me.
Unread 10-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Alcohol after op?

Hi Ladies,
I am still not able to drink and I am four weeks tomorrow. I have a difficult time keeping my balance, and as my DH puts it, I am a cheap drunk!! Soooo, for now, even though I could use a bender, (I'm cheap, probably three drinks and I am there!!) I am abstaining. I am still taking Tylenol and Advil and just cant imagine feelin hungover (which happens with one drink) and sore all at the same time.... Some day soon, I will be able to go to our favorite club with my hubby, watch the children play, and have a drink and know I will be ok...Until then, sigh, its tea time for me!!

Hugs
Kat

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway