HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Giant Air Bubble in Stomach/Not belly Giant Air Bubble in Stomach/Not belly

Unread 10-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Giant Air Bubble in Stomach/Not belly

Hello all--

it seems that with each new day, a new question arises.

when i first found this site i was complaining that i couldn't sleep on my sides yet. well, i have made some progress there--i can for a little while, but definitely not for long periods and easier on my left side than my right.

but now i am noticing that as the night progresses, it feels like i develop a giant air bubble in my stomach--not low where the swelly belly is, but above it--truly in the stomach--i guess.

does that happen to anyone else? it's not gas--that would be releasable, mine usually goes away after i get up and walk around for a bit, but at the end of my fight trying to sleep everynight--this phenomenon gets very uncomfortable.

what i wouldn't give for one full day of normalcy--to me that would be twenty-four hours of not being acutely conscientious about my body from my breast bone down to my hip bones.

Mindi
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:28 PM

Never had that but sounds painful. I know I like to sleep on my side too and I am just now getting to that. I have a flabby belly so it moves when I roll over. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 10-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Me, me, me, me!

I know EXACTLY what you're describing. I thought it was gas too, but apparently it's trapped air that doesn't make it down that far. There are exactly three things that I've found that work for me -- walking, like you've already mentioned, Gas X, although it makes me burp instead of toot (doesn't matter as long as the air pressure is gone), and dry toast (not sure what the deal is with the toast, doc said it could be because it wakes up your digestive juices to get busy).

I have found that it's happening less and less as time goes on, thankfully, so hopefully yours will disappear over time as well.
Unread 10-18-2004, 04:56 PM

Hey, I understand...it seems like just after you conquer one annoying pain...something else rears it's ugly head!

I had stomach troubles too. I thought it was gas...couldn't figure it out! Finally got some answers after visiting my gastro dr. Seems the surgery slows down the entire digestive system! Believe it or not I'd never had "Heartburn" before...I was experiencing pain and then a choking sensation in my throat! I thought I had "gas" from my throat all the way down! He explained that was acid reflux! Tummy is slowed down pushing food on through and so acid was coming up into the esophagus.

Try sleeping propped up or even in a recliner chair. Try an antacid and don't eat before bed! Can't hurt to consider this!

I hope you get a good nights rest tonight!!
Happy healing....and I hope there are no more surprises for you!!
Unread 10-18-2004, 05:30 PM

i hope everyone sees this....

i love you sisters and I love this site and I am so greatful that i found it.

mindi
Unread 10-19-2004, 07:03 PM
stomach problems

WOW, I am so glad I am not alone!! I`m 4 weeks post-op and am having alot of heartburn (which I never really had before surgery). Sometimes when I eat, it feels like the food kind of sticks in my throat. I always keep something to drink close by. Then, I`ve been getting heartburn (after eating).
This was all very strange to me, but it makes sense that the surgery could be slowing down the digestive process.
Thank you so much for that info!!

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!! I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!

iamTh

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway