HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How soon after ovaries removed does menopause begin How soon after ovaries removed does menopause begin

Unread 10-18-2004, 01:53 PM
How soon after ovaries removed does menopause begin

Hi, I am just 16 days post op, TAH BSO, and I believe I am getting "warm" flashes, not "hot" just warm. I am not on any replacement harmone therapy and it was not offered. I am 48. How are you guys handling the inevitable surgical menopause? Do I ignore any symptoms, are there natural replacements I can find that really work?
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
good question

That is a good question. I had my surgery in 2001. Since then i have only had , a few hot flashes but i noticed int he last month ihave had about 5 and i was only having about 1 every six months. I have one ovary. any answers about this would be great. Im 41 so i know its coming LOL
Unread 10-18-2004, 02:35 PM

My hot flashes and night sweats started hard at 10 days post op. I'm taking Premarin .625. After 1 week of taking it, I could tell a big difference, now I feel fine. There are some natural products that are sold over the counter, but I don't know much about them.
Unread 10-18-2004, 02:43 PM

I started on estrace 2 mg a few days after surgery. I haven't (knock on wood) had any hot flashes or night sweats so far. I'm 42, and it's been 5 weeks for me. I hope you find some answers, I was just too chicken not to take something.
Debbie
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:09 PM

I'm 9 wks post op. Didn't take anything first 5 weeks, then went back on Cenestin. I'm 46 and had a partial hyst at age 30. Jan. 04 started experiencing perimenopause. I believed 3 mos weight gain of 20 was due to hormone pills. so, my dr. said she thought i wanted off of them, and didn't prescribe patch or anything else. I lasted about 4 wks, hot flashes (no night sweats, I had that before)....which is really wierd...you'd think i'd have night sweats post surgery. ANYHOW, I was on Estratest (for low libido) pre-surgery and I'm on Cenestin right now. Wanted low dose to see how things would go. Still experience hot flashes, but not as much. It varies. Ex: I've only had one this am, one this afternoon. Before and sometimes now, it can be as many as 3 in a 15 minute cycle. They are distracting only. Bearable, but I decided to jump back on the HRT bandwagon. I'm experiencing residual pain/pressure lower abdomen, can't wait to find out when that will go away! I"ve heard getting on Estrogen may cause flare up (again) of scarring and adhesions, which I had a lot of. Best Wishes, hope this info helps.
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:13 PM

animalcrackers

If you go over to the no hormone desert, you can find articles, and information about otc, and herbs that can help.
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:15 PM

Hi!
Because of a history of breast cancer, I will not be able to take hormone replacement. I have heard that Benadryl and anti-depressants help. I already am on an antidepressant, and I plan to stock up on the Benadryl soon.

Also, I am on Vicodin for pain. I'm told that this med can cause hot flashes. Might check any pain killers, if you happen to take any.

Best of luck--
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:22 PM

Hi I had an E2 implant put in during surgery , I was comfortable with this decision and my DR is of the belief that meno symptoms and recovery aren't a good combo , it has worked for me and my emotions are actually 100% better than pre op when ovaries weren't working anyway , really is a personal thing , It has been great not 1 post op
Wendygai
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:35 PM

animalcrackers,

My doctor, concerned with the HRT findings, suggested I wait to see how I responded after surgery (uterus, ovaries, cervix removed).

I'm 49. For several months prior to surgery, I experienced mild hot flashes (warm ones, you say? and changes in my periods.
Post surgery, it took about 2 weeks for the hot flashes to return. They grew stronger and much more frequent and became very sleep disturbing. After about 5 weeks of that, I was desperate for relief.

Like you, I was concerned about the pharmaceutical hormones and wanted something that was touted as being safer - natural progesterone and estrogen, etc.

I started using progesterone cream and about a week later, I asked my regular doc for a low dose Vivelle patch. After about 2 weeks, nothing seemed to put a dent in the hot flashes at night, so I saw folks in a clinic that specialize in women's health.

They gave me an estrogen shot and prescribed a stronger Vivelle patch. The shot worked great. After over 5 weeks on crappy sleep, I finally slept through the night because there were no HFs.

My long range goal is to monitor my hormone levels and very gradually wean myself from external hormone sources, mimicking the natural decline my ovaries my have orchestrated.

Desiree
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:30 PM

Dear AnimalCrackers,

I am 17 days post op, and pretty much started with the hot flashes while I was still in the castle (there 3 days). They aren't all the time, and usually happens at night and I wake up wet and cold! I have bouts of insomnia too, but again not every day. Last night I finally fell asleep at 1am and woke up at 4:25am - and have been going strong all day long!

I imagine that once I have dinner (in the next hour, judging by the time of day!) I will become tired and likely will be ready for bed fairly early.

I had endometriosis present (surgeon was surprised to find it!) when I had my TAH/BSO so he wants me to wait six weeks before starting HRT. He said that if it's driving me nuts to call him, and he'd put me on something before - but so far, so good. I drive the kids around the bend when I have the sunroof open while we're driving down the freeway (it's been snowing here for the last couple of days, and is -3 celsius outside). Heck, I'm walking around with bare feet in my ducky boots just to keep the old temperature down!

I can't complain too loudly though (for one thing, who'd listen!) I recall seeing the sweat pour down my aunt's forehead as she sat across the dinner table from me one holiday meal. I'm definitely not that bad off at all!

Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.