HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

incision infection and hernia....3 1/2 weeks post op....I am so tired of this... incision infection and hernia....3 1/2 weeks post op....I am so tired of this...

Unread 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM
incision infection and hernia....3 1/2 weeks post op....I am so tired of this...

I had a TAH on 9/23.....the day after surgery I was throwing up so much that I felt something pop....I thought any way. Well at 1 1/2 weeks post op appt. my Dr said I had a hernia (it is grapefruit size behind my vertical incision)....it is so miserable!!! He said to wait until my next check up and then I should have it repaired. I am so afraid of another surgery!!! Well now I have a 2 inch round red welting on my incision....and it feels hot and hurts like crazy!!!! And the hernia is pushing on it from the inside...I just cant take it anymore!!! I dont have a fever...and am going in to see the Dr. tomorrow. Anyone else go through this??? How was the hernia surgery??? So close to a TAH??? Oh I hope someone can tell me something good......thank you for listening I appreciate it so much.....no one else really wants to listen anymore I dont think.
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
incision infection and hernia....3 1/2 weeks post op....I am so tired of this...

So sorry you're feeling so poorly. Today is my 3 week's day, and I have been upset because I thought I'd be out doin' stuff by now. I am still not healed at all...the superglue is peeling off and I am red and oozy underneath. It is so discouraging! I threw up too, right on my DR.! I guess we just have to stick it out...worried that I'll not be ready to go back to work on Nov. 8, like I'm scheduled to...work in retail with some lifting. Kinda scared. Being in pain will really wear at your spirit. Good luck!
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:19 PM

my dr thought i had a hernia post-op (had all the textbook symptoms). i underwent adhesiolysis and a Monarc Hammock (with gyn) and had a general surgeon present to repair the hernia. fortunately no hernia was found so i cant give you any hands-on experience. I can however tell you what my general surgeon told me prior to the surgery---it was going to be a very painful surgery..hernia would be repaired with mesh..rejection to the mesh was less than 2%...healing time would be 8-12 weeks...full healing would be close to a year..no more heavy lifting............this is just what MY surgeon told me so take it with a boulder of salt...make sure you find yourself a surgeon who's willing to answer your questions and one who's had plenty of success with incisional hernai repair (i'm assuming yours is incisional).
stay well
diana
Unread 10-19-2004, 09:55 AM

My heart goes out to you. I know everything you are going through doesn't seem fair (and it is not). However, try real hard to focus on any bit of positive you can find and build on it. It will help keep you strong. You and I had surgery the same day. I too am facing a second surgery to repair a complication from my TAH. I have two large, hard bulges about two inches above my incision. The DR is not certain whether or not it is a hernia, hemotoma, or the collection of a lot of scar tissue they found inside of me that settle into pockets when they closed me up. If I lay flat, you see nothing (therefore they did not see anything abnormal when they stapled me shut), however, when I stand up, I look quite deformed and cannot zip any pants. It is not a swelly belly (I have been fortunate not to have that), but the DR is baffled. He is sending me to a plastic surgeon in three more weeks for his opinion. I have cried, and been frustrated and like you, certainly do not want another surgery at a time when I was suppose to be "back to normal". I am trying to accept what I can't control, and now want to get it fixed ASAP so I can be me again. I work out regularly (have for years), so this is new look is making me a little upset!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please hang in there.

Mary

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.