HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hole in bladder from surgery Hole in bladder from surgery

Unread 11-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Not sure you want to hear about mine :)

HI there. I cannot believe that they have not repaired your bladder yet. My husband was told (24 + hours after hysterectomy) that if I did not have the repair done immediately, I would not make it through the night.
I did have an excellent urologist, but it did not make it any easier. I had stints in each of my kidneys with drainage bags on my right side, two abdominal small JP (not sure what they are called, little baloon things) in the abdomen, and a lovely Super pubic foley bag from my bladder. After major antibiotics, and not nearly enough pain meds, they first removed 1 stint...OUCH...then next day they removed the 2nd stint...OUCH, the next day the abdominal baloon...Really Ouch, the day after that the next abdominal...really OUCH...then two weeks after being discharged they removed the superpubic(which was a tube inserted through my abdomen into my bladder, connected to a bag) in office and that was theh worst yet. I am still on antiobotics, due to another infection (well ladies, we know this urinary infection is not from sex...) and Ditripan for the spasms, and xanax because this entire ordeal has turned me into a walking anxiety issue...the proxac before poster child!
On the plus side.....I lost several pounds!
I so hope and pray that this goes well for you. I can tell you that after my 2nd systagram(sp) that my bladder was a little uneasy for a few days.
My prayers are with you. Please let me know how you make out!
Regards,
KEMP
Unread 11-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Hole in bladder from surgery

Dear Nicksmamu...

I have been wondering how you are. Was the hole in your bladder diagnosed as a fistula? Depending on what your diagnosis is, that is why you did not have to have surgery right away like Kemp. Is a urologist going to be doing the surgery? Finding the right doctor is hard to do!

I had my bladder repaired 3 times, and it is "major" surgery. However, if it works it is so worth it!

Feel free to e-mail or PM if you have any questions.

Good luck to you.

Dee
Unread 11-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Hole in bladder from surgery

nicksmamu,
I'm so sorry you have to go through this!
I agree, it's major surgery and it needs to be done by a urologist (or a gynecological urologist if at all possible). My ruptured bladder was repaired Dec.22/02 by an excellent urologist. He answered all my questions and put me at ease. The nurses spoke very highly of him. Most of his patients were men, but he did do a fine job. I went home on Dec.31/02 with a foley catheter which was removed on Jan.6/3. I also had urethral stents to protect the ureters, which were removed on Feb.6/03.

I was so terrified it was beyond expression, but it was not as bad as I had feared. Many people were praying for me and I felt "carried" through the whole ordeal. "One day at a time," sometimes "one minute at a time" became my motto. Like kemp, I was on major antibiotics. My pain was manageable first with morphine, and soon after that with tylenol 3. I stopped using tylenol 3 as soon as I could because of constipation issues. Instead I used extra-strength tylenol and made sure I took them well before I was expected to get out of bed! Getting out of bed for the first time was the hardest. Besides that my constipation (a chronic problem for me) caused me the most pain, but not everyone has that problem. Removing the urethral stents was scary and unpleasant, but it was quick, and what a relief to be rid of them!

Both in the hospital and at home I walked as much as could, with rests in between of course, and that helped me a lot. I found I really had to listen to my body.

It has taken me these past two years to process the trauma of the experience (maybe partly because I was also dealing with a cancer diagnosis). Counselling and my journal have been a great help.

nicksammu and kemp, you are both in my prayers!!
Monalees
TAH/BSO for endometrial cancer/complications--ruptured bladder, Dec/02; A&P repair Oct/04.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.