HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ever Have/Hear of nerves regenerating after surgery? Ever Have/Hear of nerves regenerating after surgery?

Unread 12-27-2000, 03:07 PM
Ever Have/Hear of nerves regenerating after surgery?

Four years ago, I had wrist/hand (joint replacement)surgery. Approx 2 weeks later, I had terrific pain/sensitivity at the skin level near the incision. Kind of a tingling but very sensitive and uncomfortable. Starting Monday and last night, I had the same. The first surgeon explained that it takes awhile for the nerves to come back (regenerate) and what I was feeling. There was nothing wrong with that incision.....and I see nothing wrong with this one. But it is a very uncomfortable sensation to explain.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this? Or heard of this? This probalby sounds crazy but the orthopeadic surgeon who did my hand surgey was highly respected so he knew what he was talking about. Anyhow, if someone feels this, check with your surgeon to be sure. But this may be what it is from.
Unread 12-27-2000, 03:22 PM

Hi Saraleah. I'm no expert but I was under the impression that nerves don't regenerate. Like I said, I'm no expert. I have heard of "phantom" pains. For instance an amputee might sense feeling in a limb which has been removed. Maybe you can do a net search on what's happening to you. I'd sure be interested.

Unread 12-27-2000, 03:26 PM

Hi, I have the same pain (stinging, tingling, almost feeling like a cut) above my incision. TAH 4 weeks ago today. My doctor told me also that it was the nerves, which she had to cut through. Now, I am not clear of if the nerves are growing back together or not, but my doc did specifically tell me it was the nerves that were causing this pain. Which, by the way, I still am feeling!

Ami
Unread 12-27-2000, 04:50 PM
Ami....thanks for that

Glad to see that someone else feels this also. Maybe the term 'regenerate' wasn't correct. Hope more ladies can also share if they have felt this.
Unread 12-27-2000, 09:49 PM

I don't know the technicalities, but nerves heal somehow. Or maybe they reroute? (Maybe it's just the spinal column that doesn't? I dunno.) Anyway, I've had several injuries, including breaking my nose, where the area was numb for months, but eventually feeling came back. I don't remember any wierd tingling, but it seems reasonable. Right now my TAH incision is still pretty numb. I expect it'll be feeling mostly normal within 6 months-1 year, just based on past experience. I'll let you know if I notice anything wierd at about week #2.
Unread 12-28-2000, 08:02 AM
nerve regeneration

saraleah, the correct term is regeneration and yes, nerves outside the spinal column do regenerate. (peripheral nerves) The rate of regeneration is approximately one centimeter per year, which is why the numbness lasts so long. The "new" nerve may or may not follow the exact same path as the old nerve, so sensation may be slightly different when the healing process is complete. As a physical therapist, I work with patients who have nerve injuries, and the regrowth can be measured either by muscle strength testing (as the nerve grows through the muscle and the messages get from brain to muscle, the muscle regains strength) or by a nerve conductivity test ( a test that measures a wave pattern on a scope that shows nerve activity).
Unread 12-28-2000, 08:11 AM

After my TAH 2 weeks ago, my right leg from hip to knee was completly numb. When I asked the doc about it he said that when you have major surgery to part of your body, nerves may be damaged, causing numbness. Sometimes it can take up to a year for the feeling to come back into the parts that have been numb. I can feel more of my leg, and I sometimes have pain in the leg. So maybe it is healing and soon the feeling will be back completly. A friend of ours had surgery on his back a few months ago and his entire leg is numb from the trama to the nerves and such. They told him the same thing. That it may take up to a year to get the feeling back.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.