HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Freezing eggs... Freezing eggs...

Unread 10-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Freezing eggs...

Hello. I'm 30 and I've never had children. My husband and I have been through every infertility treatment that we can afford at this present time. I will most likely have a hyster for many endometrial problems. For those of you who had their ovaries removed, did any of you freeze some eggs in case you wanted to or were able to use a surrogate later on?

God bless.
Unread 10-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Freezing eggs...

Hey,

I'm 38, single and no children - I had a TAH/BSO 8 weeks ago and there was little discussion of freezing my eggs except by some friends and acquaintances asking me about it. I was dx'd with uterine cancer and at 38 my eggs were old anyway - you know you have all the eggs you will ever have when you are born. My doctor explained that even if I froze my eggs, that it was possible that they would not be viable anyway, and it is very expensive to keep them frozen until you are ready. Of course, I'm still looking for Mr. Perfect so I might have had to keep them frozen for a long time.

In your situation, being younger and married, I would talk to the fertility doctors you have been working with and your surgeon to see if it is possible and to make sure your eggs would be a good thing to keep. If you don't like the answers you get, get some more medical opinions on it.

Good Luck,
Cat
Unread 10-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Freezing eggs...

My husband and I tried in-vitro about six years ago. (My tubes had been tied years before.) Sperm can be frozen and successfully thawed; however, eggs are not viable after thawing. Embryos are, though. If you and your husband could get that far in the process, you could freeze the embryos. Then a surrogate mother might just be the ticket. Best wishes

P.S.
We are adopting a little boy
Unread 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Just curious fluffycat

What do you mean your eggs were old at 38? I had my first child at 37 and second child at 39? carol
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Freezing eggs...

Dear sweet:

You can find lots of info re different paths to becoming a mom at www.fertilethoughts.com

I hope you are able to find the right answers. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Freezing eggs...

I absolutely agree with you , Msmonih. Adoption costs are prohibitive (and legally shaky, in my opinion). We are adopting from Haiti. It has one of the lowest costs of all the international adoption-participating countries. However, the best deal is through the various counties (at least here in California). The county pays for all costs, and will even subsidize medical expenses until Junior or Juniorette is a legal adult. They are just desperate to find good homes for the thousands of children whose parents can't or won't be responsible. Infants and pre-school-aged children are available, too.

God bless all of you
Unread 10-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Freezing eggs...

I am having my surgery Nov 12. I am having both ovaries removed. We had been ttc for over 5 years, endo preventing fertilization.

Part of the reason I held off on a hyst for so long was to preserve my fertility (what little I had..lol) When it became apparent that without IVF, I would not conceive, I decided on the hyst. We cannot afford IVF, our insurance doesn't cover any costs. When my Dr asked about saving eggs, I declined. I really don't see us being able to afford it in the future, and if I thought we might, I would hold off and just carry the child myself.

We are thinking about adopting from China someday, maybe in the next 5 years or so. For now though we are enjoying our freedom

It really is a personal choice, one you have to make based on cost, probability of success, etc.

I also highly reccomend fertilethoughts.com - it was a great help to me when I was going through IUI cycles.

Erin
Unread 10-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Freezing eggs...

Thanks for all of the fabulous posts...good insight. My sister brought up the egg freezing thing to me today so I thought I'd look into whether it was feasible and practical. She has 2 kids and she does not have PCOS like I do...I think that she understands me wanting to have a hyster...she's just so sad for me because my dream has always been to have a biological child. After thinking about it today, I don't think it is a good idea to freeze my eggs. My hubby said he wasn't sure if he wanted to work with a surrogate. Ebumgar, I'm 30 and my situation sounds a lot like yours. We have been trying off and on for quite a few years. We tried every fertility treatment that we could afford. But, like you, IVF is out of our league...especially with the knowledge that it might not work. We cannot afford one round let alone several. Adoption is not cheap either. So, we plan to get part time jobs to save up for adoption. I cannot work until I get this period under control...so, after a hyster, I will be able to go full speed into life again and I will be able to physically be the mommy that I want to be someday. Thanks again for the great replies and God bless.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.