HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Megace for hyperplasia Megace for hyperplasia

Unread 10-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Megace for hyperplasia

hi!

my dr. wants me to take megace for 3 months to reduce endometrial tissue. i am extremely reluctant to do this as i am sure i will suffer all the side effects.

i just had two growths removed -- a polyp and a fibroid. both are benign.

i feel i am at very low risk for uterine cancer. i understand where the dr.'s coming from but i'd rather wiat the homronal change out (i am barely into my first year of menopause at 53). i am completely asymptomatic -- no bleeding, no pain, nothing. i have spent the past 8 months losing weight and dealing with mood swings. now that i'm on a much more even keel, i can't see throwing it all over. i also have a far more worrisome condition than the slight possibility of cancer -- i have to manage a good deal of arthritic pain from scoliosis. water rentention exacerbates the joint pain.

the doc tells me to think positive that i won't have any side effects. i know better -- any med that might cause me to bloat or be moody *always* does.

i'd like to hear fromm others who have or are dealing with Megace therapy. i haven't entirely closed the door. i want to be better informed.

thanks!
Unread 10-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Megace for hyperplasia

Hi ariel and welcome to Hystersisters! I've moved your post over here to the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives forum, which is where ladies post when they still have a uterus and are looking at alternatives to hysterectomy, including hormonal treatments such as Megace.

There have been several ladies here who have taken Megace for hyperplasia. Hopefully one of them will be along soon to share her experience. Meanwhile, you might try doing a search on this site for posts that use the words "megace" and "hyperplasia"... you will find quite a few in both this forum and our Cancer Concerns forum. Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=155319

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Megace for hyperplasia

Hi Ariel

I am currently taking Megace. I haven't really had much for side effects. I have only gained 6 lbs in 5 months on Megace and 7 months on Provera. I haven't had any bloating but I have had some bleeding.

If I were you, I would try it as long as it's just the 3 months. Most of my side effects didn't start until 2 months after starting.

Good luck in your decision.
Unread 10-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Megace for hyperplasia

thank you so much for the reply and the link!

i came here as a result of my searches online re Megace. one of the searches turned up advice on IVillage from a dr. who wasn't so gung ** on medicating someone with what i have, simple hyperplasia. she also went on to say that this type has a very low incidence of developing further. i decided that i really needed to hear from women who were taking or had taken the drug.

after reading the responses at this site, i get the impression that, if i was younger and/or definitely diagnosed with cancer, there would be no question of taking or not taking. also, everyone seemed to confirm that the side effects are real (my dr. told me that i should adopt a positive outlook and not tell myself that i would be affected. my experience with any drug that might affect my moods or weight or strong tendency to retain water is that i get hit with all 3). i don't think the dr's rah rah advice would work, LOL. and i think she knows this as she was just a little too chipper about it. if she felt i had no choice, she would've told me. i was going to nix the procedure to remove the growths until she told me that wasn't a good idea. she knows that i'm far more concerned with other health issues than i am with a cancer threat.

so, my choice is not to go on the therapy. the advice from the board also seems to indicate that this drug works better in younger women. i strongly believe that my problems with excess estrogen started when i gained a lot of weight 7 yrs ago, after being very fit for years. i feel that my continuing to get my weight down will lower my estrogen.

i am hoping, despite the above, that women will get in touch with me, directly addressing my reluctance.
Unread 10-25-2004, 09:38 AM
oops! didn't see the next post

2ndtimearound: thank you! i wouldn't have gone on and on if i had seen yr post.

are you taking Megace for hyperplasia? are you in my situation, i.e., being prescribed the drug for a pre-cancerous condition?

the dosage looks to be 60 mg a day judging from the scrip. well......if i get my arm twisted maybe...........
Unread 10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Megace for hyperplasia

I was taking Provera for the Hyperplasia but then it progressed into stage 1 cancer and then my dr. changed me to the Megace.
My Dr. consulted with another dr. and they decided it didn't matter if it was a low or high dose that's why I started on the Provera which was only 10mg per day. I am currently taking 80mg per day.

My last endo biopsy (3 months after starting Megace) showed that it's reacting to the Megace and starting to get better.
Unread 10-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Megace for hyperplasia

i am very glad for you that you're getting better!

thank you again for the info. today, i'm back to the plan of not taking the med. i'm struggling to stay on an even keel mental health wise and i can't see taking anything that could threaten what i've gained.

i'll see what happens hyperplasia-wise when i see the dr. in feb. of course, if it progresses, i won't be flip flopping like i am now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.