HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

11 weeks post op and having terrible low back pain 11 weeks post op and having terrible low back pain

Unread 12-28-2000, 12:15 PM
11 weeks post op and having terrible low back pain

Sisters,
I had my tah w/both ovaries removed (I am 33) on October 4, 2000. I have had a good recovery overall, except for the past week and a half I am having just awful, lower back pain. I have never had back problems in my life and this sucks! Has anyone else had a similar situation? If so, can you tell me what helped to get rid of it? I work for a doctors office and have asked 2 docs if they think this is related to my surgery. They are not obgyn's but they agree that it could be related. My incision was vertical. I know that my stomach muscles are probably still weak and I wonder that since I had parts removed, maybe the other parts that were left have shifted around and are now settling? It's just strange that it's happening now. I have not done anything to hurt my back. I thought maybe it was from lifting my 2 1/2 yr old daughter (she is about 30 lbs) but I have not been lifting her lately and it still hurts. Now, it's affecting my sleep! Help please, any feedback would be wonderful! Kimberanne in Utah
Unread 12-28-2000, 12:39 PM
11 weeks post op and having terrible low back pain

Hi Kimberanne,

So sorry about the back pain! It takes 6 months to a year to TOTALLY heal from a TAH. There was loads of cutting and stitching...reattaching supporting ligaments inside of you, and that all takes a lot of time to heal. So your problem could most definitely be related to your surgery since you are still healing in there.

If you have been lifting a 30 lb. child, you can expect trouble. That's just my personal hunch. You could be having a delayed pain backlash that will take awhile to go away...such backlashes from overdoing it are very common in hyst recovery from what I've seen here over the last 5 months.

Rather than lift your daughter, do whatever you can to help her climb to where she needs to be on her own, or find another way to get her where she needs to go. I would not be lifting that much weight for at least another month or so.

In the meantime, try to get some extra rest with your feet UP. This will take the pressure off the areas that were stressed. With lots of rest, you should feel better soon, I'm hoping.

My very best to you...

Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.