HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hair Loss, Hormones, Hot Flashes, Loss of Sex Drive... 3 Years Later Hair Loss, Hormones, Hot Flashes, Loss of Sex Drive... 3 Years Later

Unread 11-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Hair Loss, Hormones, Hot Flashes, Loss of Sex Drive... 3 Years Later

Well, here I am… three years later and much wiser (and grayer!) I thought I should update the information I listed here. I was really frazzled about all the changes that happened so suddenly after my surgery. Gals who go through the change without surgery have the luxury of getting uses the changes as they happen over a period or time. We “Sisters” are thrown into the fray like Daniel into the lion’s den (smile).

So what’s changed? Well, the total panic about my hair loss. I wish I had the money back for all the potions, shampoos, vitamins, herbals and stuff that I bought. My hair is somewhat thinner but still there. I went to a good stylist that had been cutting hair for 20 years and was familiar with nearly every condition that people try to change or hide. He gave me a terrific new (and much more age appropriate) hairstyle that looks terrific on me and mitigates the thinning look. I haven’t liked my hair in many years so this was great! I also got rid of all of the dollar store shampoo and use Infusium 23. It keeps my hair feeling great, looking shiny and healthy. I also use a product called “Dream Curls” by Fizz Ease to keep it looking smooth. NOT on the top though because that’s where I’m thinning and it tends to weigh it down somewhat. But… you know what actually HELPED the thinning to slow? When I relaxed about it. Stress causes hair loss.

About my loss of sex drive… one of the things I am most grateful for is a very understanding partner. I’ve found that waiting for the right time for a full blown passionate encounter makes it quite explosive for us both. BUT… that doesn’t work for all men. So, I’ve found that mini encounters helped in that he can have the sex that he needs, I don’t feel guilty about not wanting sex as often – and I can get the cuddling and closeness that I like. PLUS, I recently found a natural female libido enhancer called AVILMIL. I like it. It increases my desire and I found orgasm to be stronger like it used to be pre hyst. There are tons of products out there claiming to help. Unfortunately it’s a trial-and-error thing and gets costly. One other thing. I was on hormone replacement therapy for awhile and that is what helped the most (more in the next paragraph) but with my history of cancer it was not worth the risk.

Hot flash HELL. If there had to be one thing I DESPISED the most about this whole “experience” it was the hot flashes. I explained it to my husband like this… imagine it being 85 degrees and humid… you’re in the car with the windows rolled up – then turn on the HEATER! That’s what it felt like to me. I decided to try hormone replacement therapy. I started with the pills, which gave me HORRIBLE side effects that lasted for over two weeks, AFTER I discontinued them. Sheesh! What are in those things anyway. Then I did the Climara patches. They started me with the lowest dose and it took 6 months to get it adjusted. Then, with summer comes sweating. I was losing the patch every few days and I wasn’t due to change it for several days. It was more trouble that it was worth – that coupled with my multi generational female cancers made me decide to quit. Much to my (pleasant) surprise, the hot flashes have subsided substantially. If I’m up late at night I now experience one or two. I also find that they occur more frequently if I am sick, upset, have an adrenaline rush (argument, someone scares me.. etc.) or when I take certain medications. CAFFEINE is also a hot flash trigger. The night sweats are now gone as well.

I felt it was important to update the things I originally mentioned in my posts. I have adjusted to the changes in my life… finally. I still have fond memories of where my waistline used to be (smile) and realize that the transition to this new level in my life is not as devastating as I once believed. If I had one thing to say to my new “sisters” it would be to give it time. You WILL adjust and life inevitably goes on.

With an understanding hug in thought, Pam
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the update. It's nice to hear from someone who has worked thru the problems, and come out to other side!!!
Unread 11-28-2004, 12:05 PM

Wow! today is my first day on this site and I have read many posts. But yours was the one I really connected with. I had surgery 7/03. I have tried many of the things you have. With the same results or different ones. Hormone therapy was not worth the risk for me as well. Weight gain and hot flashes have been my problem. My doctor has recommended one thing after another. I feel he is just throwing things out there for me to try and when these things don't work he suggests something else. Poor thing he is so out of his league. He kept giving me zoloft 50mg. In my mind this was for deprssion. I didn't take it because I was not depressed. But after 18 mos. of searching I have resigned to taking the zolft. I am 2 weeks in feeling better. I have decided that this is a process there are no fast fixes it just has to run its course. After reading alot of posts it seems everyone is different what works for some doesn't work for others. But it is comforting to know I am not the only person traveling this road.
Unread 11-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Thanks Pam, What an up-lifted post. My climara patch comes off days before and I'm already getting tired of the expensive they are costing. I just started last week to get unbearable hot flashes. One that scared me. It lasted some 3 to 4 minutes. I go to the dr this week and need to request another type of hrt. keeping a jounrnal is a good idea. I'm starting one today. I'm glad you were able to work thru your problems and to share with us. hugs to you.....
Unread 12-01-2004, 03:08 PM

Hey there- it has been awhile since I have posted, so hear it goes!
I hada TAH, along with cervix a year ago September. One month before I turned 30. I have no chilkdren and am divorced.
The hot flashes hit me while I was still in the hospitol. They automatically put me on Premarin when I left the hospitol. That ended up not doing any good, and I went down the fun road of trying to find the right HRT. I also was battling migraines. They just seemed to get worse and worse, with a big side of depression thrown in to boot! At one point I was on 12 pills a day! It seemed like everytime I complained of something, they threw me on yet another pill! I was so sure that these combos of pills were causing all the side affects. So I finally said ENOUGH!
I am now on just a daily soy pill and multi vitamin. Period. The migraines are gone, and I still have a few hot flashes a day, but nothing that I can't handle. I agree that when I am stressed, they get worse. So, all in all I think I am better off of all that stuff.
We all need to rmemeber, that we are all different. Different things work for us all. This is what works for me.
I am still dealing with some emotional crap that came along with the surgery itself, but other than that, I am so happy not to have 45 days of bleeding anymore! Woohoo!

Ok, I have said enough.
Everyone take care!

Lisa
Unread 12-01-2004, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyshub
He kept giving me zoloft 50mg. In my mind this was for deprssion. I didn't take it because I was not depressed. But after 18 mos. of searching I have resigned to taking the zolft. I am 2 weeks in feeling better. .
Zoloft isn't exclusively for depression. My dh has a rare form of migraine that causes stroke like symptoms one of which is losing his balance. Zoloft helps prevent these for him.
Unread 12-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Glad to read you update too. I have my surgery 8/03, took hormones till a week ago and decided it wasn't worth it either. Been having a few flashes/sweats but so far sleeping pretty well. I am taking a multi and extra calcium. Gonna just play it all by ear. I haven't lost any weight, but I am definitely losing puffiness.
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Climara Patch

Thanks, girls for all the hair loss information!!!

A couple had comments on the Climera Patch not staying in place... I had the same problem and went to the generic form.... Estradiol... It stays on the full week.. but, the potency, as with the Climera only lasts 5-6 days... My doc told me to slap another one one a day or two early if needed...

Hugzzzzzzzzz....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.