HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

pros and cons of removing cervix? pros and cons of removing cervix?

Unread 11-11-2004, 12:55 AM
pros and cons of removing cervix?

Hi again

I found out sort of by the way that my dr. will take out my cervix as part of my TAH on Dec. 14. The nurse said the dr. always does this. Should I have a choice? Should I want a choice? I am 45, with lots of big fibroids (ca. 20 wks) and heavy bleeding (including bleeding for the past 7 weeks--ugh ugh ugh), but no history of abnormal pap smears. However, close family history of ovarian cancer (my mother), breast cancer (my aunts and grandmothers and cousin), and some other cancers. (Yes, I've been checked for genetic problems related to these, and luckily I have the "normal" risk for these cancers.)

Why would you want to keep your cervix? Why not?

Thanks

kirinphoebe
Unread 11-11-2004, 05:04 AM

Hi,

There are several pro's and con's to keeping the cervix. The surgery is usually a little easier if you keep it, as you don't have quite a many stitches. Also, there are some who say it does help support the pelvic structures and enhance sexual stimulation.

On the con side, there's the potential risk for cervical cancer. In addition, there is really no conclusive proof that the cervix aids in pelvic support or sexual function at all. It's very small, just the size of a coat button and there's no clear cut line between where the cervix ends and the uterus begins, so many doctors say that it really has no benefit in these areas.

The biggest drawback in keeping the cervix is that, if you also keep one or both ovaries, there is a possibility of mini-periods, since the lining of the uterus can extend into the cervix. When the hormones are released each month, this lining can bleed, just like with a regular period. Usually the bleeding is insignificant, just requiring a panty liner, but in some ladies, it's a substantial amount of bleeding which could require later surgery to remove the cervix. The doctor can also cauterize the cervix during surgery to prevent mini-periods.

I had my cervix removed two years ago and haven't missed it in the least. But this is really something you need to discuss with your doctor.

Best wishes.
Unread 11-11-2004, 07:15 AM

I have to agree , I will be having my uterus and cervix removed on the 15th and rational is the same as with Lisa. My Doctor did, however, give me the choice. He explained the same reasons for removal, and to be quite honest, after this hyster, I want to avoid any possible trouble down the road. I was informed the chance of cervical cancer will never be an issue, and that was all I needed to hear. I was very concerned with the sexual advantage/disadvantages and was told there is no evidence that supports pleasure with or without the cervix. I pray that is true, but everyone is different. I am going for my pre-op appt today. I wasn't nervous till now, talk to you all later when I get back! This will definately be a topic I will go over with the Doctor one more time!
:eyes:
Unread 11-11-2004, 07:57 AM

Hi there! I'm scheduled for tomorrow (TAH/BSO) and my dr has recommended removing my cervix. His reasons: I don't need it, there is no worry of later cervical cancer, no worry of later surgery, it has nothing to do with sexual function, and I've had several go-arounds with dysplasia, so he thought it best.

There are so many decisions, and all your friends/family second guess you and the dr--but I figure since he's been my ob/gyn for 32 years, he knows my body better than anyone besides myself!
Good luck to you!
Glenna

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.