HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

coughing...such a pain!! coughing...such a pain!!

Unread 01-03-2001, 05:01 AM
coughing...such a pain!!

I just had a TAH BSO with bladder suspension on Dec 29th, 2000...so I am just in my 5th day of recovery. Has anyone else experienced coughing spells that literally feel like it's tearing your insides out? What will help when the coughing spell comes on?
Unread 01-03-2001, 05:37 AM
coughing...such a pain!!

JAL,
I would have someone pick you up some cough medicine from the store. Right now all that pressure on your internal stitches is not a good idea Take care,
Debbie H
Unread 01-03-2001, 05:44 AM
coughing...such a pain!!

Jal - Contact your dr. and ask for something to control your cough. In the meantime just grab a pillow and place on tummy (GENLTE pressure) when you feel a coughing spell coming on...this helps elevate some of the pain.
Unread 01-03-2001, 08:49 AM
coughing...such a pain!!

I am so glad to see this post. I am much further along in my recovery (7 weeks) but I too have developed a cough. Last night as I coughed my head off in bed, I wondered if I might be doing something bad to all those internal things that were tucked up during surgery. Could the force of a cough be enough to undo some of what was done during surgery? i.e. bladder and bowel repair???
If anyone knows about this stuff please enlighten us! Thanks as always for this wonderful supportive place.
Best,
Unread 01-03-2001, 09:03 AM
coughing...such a pain!!

A few days after coming home from the hospital, I began to have wicked coughing spells that made me feel like I was going to come apart. In my case, I was having a flare-up of my asthma symptoms due to the anesthesia...so, part of stopping the coughing involved increasing my asthma meds. However, I found that a number of other things helped keep the cough under control and maybe you'll find them helpful too.

1. DH set up humidifiers in the bedroom and living room and keeps them running 24 hours per day. The moist air helps.
2. During the worst spells, I'd go stand in a very hot steamy shower. Breathing the steam also helped.
3. For me, sitting and holding the pillow on my tummy still hurt to much. I got better pain control during coughing by standing with just my hands pressed firmly against my incision.
4. I continued to use my incentive spirometer every 2 hours (deep breathing toy that I brought home from the hospital).

Because of my asthma, my doctor discourages cough suppressant medications. However, if allowed, I'd definately request some codeine-based cough syrup.
Unread 01-03-2001, 09:12 AM
coughing spells

Bless your precious heart <3 ! I too, have experienced coughing spells, even while in the hospital. The wonderful hospital staff made me a pillow (just a blanket rolled, flattened, and taped to hold) and I used it pressed NOT gently, but firmly across my incision and from there , pressed (this time gently) myself against something hard...the sink....the back of a chair....the kitchen bar, whatever was available and coughed. It's still 5 days post-op, to draw in a deep breath and cough, but I try. I'm coughing up phlegm however. I did have a cold/cough before my surgery and the dr. gave me a codeine-based cough syrup. I didn't use it in the hospital, but could have I was told, but am using it ocassionally when the coughing gets to be more than what's bearable for me. The warm showers sound like a winner to me, but bless your heart, I know how worried you must be concerning the ible tearing of sutures during these coughing spells. Hang in there and let's all pray for an overnight miracle....one can't go through what us "punctured princesses" have and not believe in the benefits of prayer and the reality of miracles, now can we ?

Saying a prayer for you.
Denise11362 hipertypr2@aol.com
Unread 01-03-2001, 11:44 AM
coughing...such a pain!!

Hi Sisters,
I know we all were told ahead of time about the coughing and to hold a pillow against the tummy but until you experiecne it you really don't understand, right Sisters? I also had a TAH/BSO with a bladder sling repair and a hernia repair and a tummy tuck and breast surgery so I went the whole nine yards back on Dec. 20. To add to the problem of the cough, I had some really heavy duty breathing problems after surgery because the surgery took over eight hours. My lungs just wouldn't clear and I ended up on oxygen for five days in the hospital, the first two days of which I could neither get up or sit up. I needed to cough to get up the mucus that was collecting in my chest but the pain was something else. Sucking liquids up through a straw was all but impossible. By the time I went home I was breathing better but extremely short winded and conjested. The best thing I could do for my lungs was to cough. My but that was painful butI needed to do it. I couldn't stand up straight because of the stitches so when I did stand it was sort of hunched over but at that point I wasn't standing except to walk to the bathroom. As one Sister said, the warm shower really helped. I also sucked on hard candies a lot, not cough losengers though. Now I'm exactly two weeks post-op and can't believe the recovery in just the last few days! I still get times when I need to cough but I also find that it feels best if I'm standing and can lean up against something for support.....sometimes that turns out to be hubby! But you know a darn cough hits when it wants and ususally for me it's when I'm lying down and don't have time to get up. I try to take a deep breath if I can first and then press on the incision area which for me goes from hipbone to hipbone and down to the pubic area. But I can feel the abdomen is a bit stronger now than it was a week ago still I wouldn't want to go on a hacking spell and test the strength of the stitches. I find that if I clear my throat often it's a bit help, as well as if I drink liquids and suck on hard candies. I'm sure glad I did all of this though, wish it had all been done when I was younger than my 54 years of now. Funny how sometimes in life feeling crummy just becomes the norm for us Sisters and we just accept it as the way our lives should be. Boy, is that wrong! I forgot what having a life was about but I'm beginning to see a glimmer of that right now and if it means a few pangs now and then when coughing than what a small price to pay. I think that if any damage were being done with the coughing there would be other signs like a fever, maybe some swelling suddenly but in the absense of that I think we aren't damaging anything, just as long as we let our docs know how much we cough, how often, and if there's any changes. Hang in there ladies!
S@ndy
Unread 01-03-2001, 12:03 PM
try to laugh:-)

I was lucky to get a cough bear while I was in the hospital, which has help a great deal. The pillow is a good idea. I drink water and/or use throat spray. Coughing does hurt:-( Try to laughing:-) I laugh from my tummy, for right now I try not to laugh hard.... and laugh from my throat bummer:-( I love to laugh....Hope this will help....
LOVE to all the sisters
cynthia
Unread 01-03-2001, 12:23 PM
coughing...such a pain!!

Ok ladies, I have this cough thing figured out.LOL Atleast when you are in a standing position. Bend as far forward as you can. Like your trying to touch the ground. If you do that it doesnt hurt at all. Seems to take the pressure off the insides. I have had some coughing going on also. If I cough while sitting up straight or standing straight it feels like my insides are ripping apart, but if I bend over and cough there is no pain at all. Hope this helps some ladies. Give it a try.
Unread 01-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Coughing

Hello Ladies ,I am 3 1/2 weeks post op TAH and I still hurt when I cough or sneeze. I haven't experienced any of the really bad coughs yet, I hope I don't.It sounds pretty bad.But when I do cough bending over and holding my belly feels the best to me.

I hope all of your coughing gets better real soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway