HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How Long is Surgery and Recovery Room? How Long is Surgery and Recovery Room?

Unread 11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
How Long is Surgery and Recovery Room?

Hey Ladies,

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, November 18, 2004 and I don't have anyone staying at the hospital with me. I am having a TAH, and would like to have someone there when I get to my room. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 11-15-2004, 10:26 AM

My surgery ended up being a little longer than they told my DH. It took about 4 hours. Then I think I was in the recovery room another hour and a half.
Everyone will be different, and it depends on what you are having done and if the doctor finds any surprises (that's what happened to me). You could ask your doctor what amount of time he/she expects it to be, and hope that it will be close to that.
Take care!
Unread 11-15-2004, 10:28 AM

I wish I lived closer because I'd be there for you when you wake up.

I had a TVH on 10-14-04. My surgery lasted approximately one hour and forty-four minutes, beginning at 8am.
I woke up in my room at around 11:30am to my 3 y/o nephew's face and him telling me, "Tab, your mouth stinkies".

I don't remember a whole lot after that, as I slept off and on most of that day and was very groggy from the anesthesia and pain medications.

As much as I liked having people there, I was glad to see them leave so I could go back to sleep.
Unread 11-15-2004, 10:30 AM

it was supposed to be an hour, but was 2.5 hours. Recovery took a while took , i went in at 1045 and was finally in my own room at 330 that included recovery time. Even though my mom and husband were both there, I don't remember , I just slept
Unread 11-15-2004, 10:39 AM

Prior to my surgery, my Dr said a TAH could last from 40 minutes to several hours. He didn't know how long until he started my surgery and took a looksey! I have no idea how long mine took, as I was fast asleep and I guess I never asked family and friends that were waiting. Hmmm... Good question.

Diana
Unread 11-15-2004, 10:57 AM

Hi
I was told 45 mins because i kept my ovaries and cervix. It took a whole 65 minutes and I am curious as to why. Anyhow, as for the recovery room, I went into surgery at 8:05 would have been done at 9:10 and was in my room at some point by 11 or so....

Trust me, you probably wont miss anyone who isnt there that day. The next though maybe we should all come down there and visit you...Hyster Sister party in your room!!! I wish I could come....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 11-15-2004, 11:11 AM

I didn't think I'd have anyone with me either as I am single with no children, adult or otherwise. I had siblings scheduled to help me after discharge from the hospital, but their time was precious and I chose not to press my luck by having one of them come for the surgery.

One of my friends offered to come and keep my company on the day of my surgery. It was lovely to have her there but honest to goodness, it wasn't essentail. Most of what I needed was within arm's reach on the table and I dozed a good part of the rest of the day. I felt a little guilty that she'd taken the day off of work when there really wasn't anything for her to do.

My surgery was scheduled for 7:30 AM and I think I was back in my room about 3 hours later.

If having someone with you is really important to you, do you have a friend or someone from church who might be able to come for at leat the morning?
Unread 11-15-2004, 11:33 AM

I have a single friend who had back surgery two weeks ago, and she asked two friends to be with her on the day of her surgery, "just in case anything happened." These friends sat with her in pre-op, stayed through the procedure and recovery room, and then left after she got to her room. Do you have a good friend who could do this for you? It might give you more peace of mind, although as the rest of the sisters said, after the surgery, you are really way to groggy to care if anyone is there or not. The nurses should see to your needs once you are up in your room. Barbara in NM.
Unread 11-15-2004, 12:45 PM

I had an LAVH on Sept 21. The surgeon allotted 4 hours and told me don't worry it won't take that long. I went in around 8am after 1 hour of them trying to start my IV in pre-op and I was in my room at 5pm. I thought they had done a TAH but the surgery was 5 1/2 to 6 hrs because of many, many adhesions from previous surgeries. I was in recovery I was told about 2 1/2 hours. Total hospital stay 2 days for me and recovery has been pretty smooth so far except for a UTI. Take care and good luck with your surgery. I was lucky my DH took the day off work, actually the first 3 days and stayed at the hospital all day when I had surgery. He was going nuts when it kept taking longer and longer. He is a worry wart too.
Unread 11-15-2004, 01:17 PM

According to the anesthesiologist's bill I was under for an hour and a half.

I had someone waiting for me but nobody bothered to tell him I was in my room, so he waited a few extra hours, poor guy.

I really didn't need anybody to be there right away. But I was so grateful my mom and my BF were there the first evening. I don't know if it was a bad reaction to being completely helpless or what, but my pain never got under control the first day and I ended up feeling like I was having panic attacks or something like that.

Having my mom there to rub my feet and pester the nurses for me and my BF to hold my hand really helped. Plus my BF dashed out to buy me a portable CD player so I could tune out all the noise that was making me so panicky.

So anyway, the point is that having somebody wait for you is probably not as important as having them come later when you are more lucid. Oh, also, I think having somebody there who wouldn't move heaven and earth for you (like a mom) is more trouble than it's worth the first day because you feel a pressure to "entertain."

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.