HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long before a bowel movement? how long before a bowel movement?

Unread 11-21-2004, 10:29 AM
how long before a bowel movement?

I was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon but I haven't had a bowel movement since Wednesday. My surgery was Thursday. Is this unusual? I have taken three laxatives so far but I don't feel like I have to go yet.

Does anyone know why the release papers say to call the hospital if you gain two pounds in one day or four pounds in one week? Just curious about that one. My weight flucates so much I don't know why they would want to know that.
Unread 11-21-2004, 10:47 AM

What kind or surgery did you have? I had a LSH and it took me 2 days. That was a long time for me. Drink lots of water. Walk around a bit. Good luck!
Unread 11-21-2004, 11:14 AM

I didn't have a BM until 6 days after surgery... the doc was more concerned about gas and whether my bowels were making noises..he said as long as they were everything was ok...
Unread 11-21-2004, 11:47 AM

Hi!

Believe it or not I had bowel movements the day after surgery!

I wouldn't worry too much. I always poop a lot. Each of us is diierent. Normally I go 3 times a day. My husband goes 1 or 2 times a week.

Best advice: Drink plenty, eat (even if you don't want to) and walk as much as is bearable!

I wish you speedy healing!

Best wishes!
God Bless!
Joanne

PS - I'm originally from L.I.
Unread 11-21-2004, 04:44 PM

I had my first bm 5 days after surgery; as long as you have gas moving it shows your bowels are working. I would think what type of surgery you had and how much your bowels had been touched or moved could have an affect on the time bowels start moving.

Do a search someone posted a great recipe using prune juice to help with moving ones bowels.
take care
Unread 11-21-2004, 05:09 PM

Boy, that first post-surgery BM seems like it took FOREVER, but in reality it was 4 days for me. I was so relived when things finally started moving again.

I haven't heard anything about the instructions you were given, that's a new one for me. Hopefully someone else will follow along with an answer for you.

Good luck with your recovery. Like the other ladies said, make sure you're following the princess rules: get some rest, take short walks, and drink lots of water.
Unread 11-21-2004, 06:31 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, kept ovaries and cervix. I had to have a vertical incision because my fibroid was to big to remove with a bikini cut.

I still haven't gone yet! I keep waiting.
Unread 11-21-2004, 06:39 PM

Surgery Wednesday morning, home Thursday afternoon, and first BM was on Saturday.
Unread 11-21-2004, 07:05 PM

It was eight days for me. I started taking stool softeners and drank 1/2 glass of prune juice each morning. Drink alot of water. I was getting nervous at my 7th day without a bm. dr. said normal as long as you have gas. All the meds can cause the problem of a delaid bm. don't worry you'll be going. I wouldn't take any more laxatives, let the ones you already have in your system work. you will go, try to be patient.

remeber drink as much water as possible and take little walks around the house. the walks help with the gas pains. after the end of my second week of recovery all the plumbing started getting back to normal. For me week three was it. All is working well. good luck in recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.